xp and win7 oddity

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

xp and win7 oddity

Post by dacflyer »

has anyone ever noticed the mouse pointer randomly jump around the page sometimes..

i can have my mouse at a certain area, and for some reason it will randomly just jump off to some other area of the page..
am i the only one having this oddity ?
Lenp

Re: xp and win7 oddity

Post by Lenp »

Wired mouse? Maybe bad cable!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

sounds like a bad mouse tbh, maybe try another?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

2 different computers, one is a toshiba laptop ( built in mouse pad )
the other computer has a optical mouse..

the laptop i am almost thinking maybe my fat hands on the over sized mouse pad,,as i am typing i do see the mouse move from time to time.. but sometimes when and trying to move the pointer, it will just jump to another place of the screen..
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

It sounds like the Mouse Driver software is corrupted.

Uninstall the Mouse Driver, and erase all settings in the registry.
Then try installing the latest Mouse Driver, and see if it solves the issue.

Otherwise......

Get your hands on the latest copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,
or Super AntiSpyware with the latest Malware/Virus Definitions.
Then run it on those computers in Safe, or Administrator Mode.

One thing I found out about some malware, is it will unintentionally effect the Mouse Driver.
Thus, when I start seeing my pointer acting strangely, I know something has gotten in that got by my malware scanner.

After you do find and kill the malware, you may still need too Uninstall and Reinstall your Mouse Drivers.

Good luck with it.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

done all that on both computers,, home and work..
i have malwarebytes ( paid version )
still does the same thing,,they do not do it always, just randomly.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Have you tried; SuperAntiSpyware?
You can down load the free version here; http://www.superantispyware.com/

Also check your Video Drivers are up to date.
Some people have reported Mouse Cursor issues when they downloaded and installed the ATI Catalyst video card program, or the NIVIDA Tools.

Another thing to try is disabling one program at a time, that install at Start up.
Then see if the problem goes away.

cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

lol, I just thought of this, but whenever it does it, what's the cpu % at?
mine does that from time to time if the system is really bogged down and the mouse will temporarilly get stuck then jump, but the stuck part only happens for around 100ms but you still notice it. If it is that, then just figure out what is using up all of the cpu and either get rid of it or if it's the software that your using, you might have to just leave it alone.

Ive tried superantispyware before and it didnt do anything at all imo, just added more programs to the list of too many programs, lol.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

cae2100 wrote:lol, I just thought of this, but whenever it does it, what's the cpu % at?
mine does that from time to time if the system is really bogged down and the mouse will temporarilly get stuck then jump, but the stuck part only happens for around 100ms but you still notice it. If it is that, then just figure out what is using up all of the cpu and either get rid of it or if it's the software that your using, you might have to just leave it alone.
Hmmm.....
What could you be running that will really bog down your system?
I've seen systems crash when they had stuff like Norton Anti-Virus on them because it was hogging the CPU, the Memory,
and a good share of space on the Hard drive for it's "Virtual SandBox" where programs were scanned upon access.
This was with 1.6Ghz machines.
McAfee Anti-Virus was also a resources pig, and I under stand it still is.
Thus, if you have one of these programs running in the background while, doing some 3D rendering, or gaming.
Your system would run like molasses.
Though now if you have a Quad(4) or Hex(8) 3.4Ghz or higher CPU in your system with 8Gigs of DDR3 Memory, 1Terabyte Hard Drive, and 1Gigabyte Video Card.
You will have little or no bogging of 3D Rendering programs, and games.
But every year it seems that Game makers are coming up with more detailed graphics in their games.
Pushing Video Card makers to keep making faster GPU's, faster Memory, and more Memory on the Video card.
You can get 4Gigbyte Video Cards now, but I hear 8Gigabytes are not far off. :roll:
cae2100 wrote:Ive tried superantispyware before and it didnt do anything at all imo, just added more programs to the list of too many programs, lol.
Yes, superantispyware doesn't find all the nasties, and neither does any of the other Malware/Spyware/Anti-Virus scanner software.
But I keep it around, because once in awhile it finds something that the other scanners may have missed. :razz:

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Many touchpads have an option to shut off the pad while typing. Stray finger touches cause strange movements!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

it may be true with laptop mouse pad, but i can't figure out why it does it on a optical mouse..
it is clean and i have a clean mouse pad...
but like i said it is random, but once in a while it does it and runs me nuts trying to figure out where the pointer went :P
gerty

Post by gerty »

I have an old Dell laptop (win 2k) and sometimes the cursor heads up to the top right corner. You can drag it down, but as soon as you lift your finger off the mouse/touchpad it goes back to the top. I use the 'puter for programming 2 way radios exclusively, and it's never been connected to the internet as long as I've had it (15 yrs)
Every time I try to fix it, it goes back to normal. It only does it a few times a year but annoying none the less.
Anybody see this before?