PeoplePC dial up internet

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Ed446

PeoplePC dial up internet

Post by Ed446 »

Anyone use PeoplePC dial up internet service? I am about fed up with at&t, at least 20 minutes wait time to get a person, hard to understand person etc. I get an error message that the att accelerator is no longer supported, has a box to click on for an update which results in a 404 error page not found. I found an update to install which resulted in the exact same one that was already being used.
Cable or DSL is not available at the location that this computer will be used.
Edwin
cae2100

Re: PeoplePC dial up internet

Post by cae2100 »

Ive heard alot of bad about peoplePC, but that's just my case. if all fails, you could set it up without the accellerator because very rarely do internet companies actually use the accelerator software anymore due to needing transparent proxy servers with compression, which with alot of people using it, it required expensive servers, and with the diminishing amount of people using dialup anymore, they cant afford to keep something like that up and running. the best thing you could do is just use windows to set up the connection and skip the AT&T's connection software, go into the modem settings, under advanced, where the extra init commands are, and inserting "AT&F" without the quotes, and using something like firefox with adblock plus to increase dialup speed. that would give you the most speed out of your connection.
Ed446

Re: PeoplePC dial up internet

Post by Ed446 »

Thanks cae2100. You would think if at&t still offers dial up service that they would at least clean up their web site.
Edwin
PS when it was Bell South, you could go to their web site and put in a phone number and it would tell you if DSL was available.
with at&t, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!