Windows XP Windows 7 32 bit

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Ed446

Windows XP Windows 7 32 bit

Post by Ed446 »

Will programs that will run using XP run using 32 bit version of windows 7?
Edwin
cae2100

Re: Windows XP Windows 7 32 bit

Post by cae2100 »

most will, and if not, just google a patch for the game/program.
Ed446

Post by Ed446 »

Thanks, I've been trying to set up a computer for dial up internet using xp. That's the only thing available at that location(affordable)
It seems to get slower all the time. I was thinking about trying 7 32 bit so older programs would work. I have 7 64 bit and have not been able to install any of my older programs.
Edwin
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

imo, windows 7 and 8 is nothing but useless junk, I eventually just went to linux, then if I need to run a windows program, just install it using wine, runs 10x better than it did on windows in most cases.
Ed446

Post by Ed446 »

What version of linux are you running? I tried Ubuntu 10.4. I didn't like it. I agree with you on windows 7. I have not tried 8 and don't plan to. The only reason I'm using 7, it came on the last computer I bought.
Thanks
Edwin
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

I use ubuntu 10.04, but it needs a good bit of tweaking, also I use debian wheezy on my other systems. I honestly like the look of gnome2 rather than gnome3 or lxde tho.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

most will, yes but if it won't work on Win 7 64 then it probably won't work on Win 7 32b unless it has to do with a hardware driver. 64b version installs 32b programs in ../program files (x86)/.. but is still probably going to not work for 16b programs or ones that require hardware drivers and are no longer supported. Depending on the program, other limitations may also keep it from working.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

According to "Winders" itself, you can only install the older stuff on the PRO version
and then run a Virtual Machine interpreter to use the older programs (some 32 bit and
definitely the 16 and 8 bit programs). If it is DOS you need to run, use something like
DOSBOX. I can run QBasic through that, albeit without native direct port access, but
they make libraries for that. It's weird though, I have some stuff that is old (CircuitMaker)
running on this Win7 Home PC and some other old stuff that won't even install, like
VB4 32 bit. Go figure...

Why they only allow backward compatibility with the PRO version and not the HOME
version baffles me beyond belief. Perhaps it is so they can suck the money out of you
no matter which version you use. :/

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

a simple solution is to take the license and disk from your previous PC and install Win XP as a dual boot.

I suppose they justify charging extra because they are technically selling you two OSs. The PRo also comes with other stuff I believe
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

instead of dial up, do you have good cell service there? I use Verizon wireless homefusion broadband.. faster than DSL.. works great for me, used it on XP, Win 7 32 and 64bit, and now on Win8 Pro.. no problems whatsoever.. and if you want to take it with you, they have a black card that is wireless too, instead of the house mount unit.. it works on all your wireless pc's.. just plug into an ac outlet to keep it charged..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Ed446

Post by Ed446 »

Thanks frhrwa. There is a Verizon store close, I will check with them on their service.
Edwin
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

note: as a follow up, I hate WIN8.. really sucks.. will be going back to WIN7 shortly.. love the FUSION THO.. even went with the Verizon home phone, 3 way calling, Caller ID, Conference, unlimited long distance, all for $20 a month and you KEEP your phone number.. I just disconnected the line going to the street, put a dual jack in the living room, plugged the Home phone box in and back fed the dial tone to all my jacks.. it works great..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!