Dell Dimension DIM 3000

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Ed446

Dell Dimension DIM 3000

Post by Ed446 »

This computer has a Pentium 4 cpu 2.8 GHz. It had 512 MB of memory, we wanted to add more & purchased two 1 GB RAM modules.
The operating system is Windows XP pro with service pack 3. Decided to test the system with a hard drive with windows 98 SE. The computer would start the boot process, then give the error message insufficient memory to initialize windows. The system would boot with the old 512 MB memory or with one of the new RAM modules in either slot but not with both installed. In setup the two modules would show
that 2048 MB DDR SDRAM.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Edwin
dacflyer

Re: Dell Dimension DIM 3000

Post by dacflyer »

i think win98 cannot handle that much memory. i had the same problem before also..
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

windows 98 can handle up to 2GB of ram, but there's a glitch in 98 that shows the out of memory error with more than 512MB ram, there is a work around for this tho.

add this to the [VCache] section of system.ini file, which the file is in C:/Windows folder:
MaxFileCache = 524288

then reboot the computer with the 2GB of ram in it, and it should work fine from then on.

in all honesty, I'd just upgrade to windows xp and save yourself alot of trouble. Windows 98 is notorious for being aweful with memory management.
Ed446

Post by Ed446 »

Thanks for the replies. We are using XP. I hooked up a win 98 Hard drive to see how it would run with the new memory.
When I got that error message, I thought that the memory was faulty.
Thanks again
Edwin
Ed446

Post by Ed446 »

Well, it finally died. So slow it takes forever to do anything. What does Dell have on the hard drive, it will not boot on another computer (non dell). IT will show www.dell.com at top of screen and it stops there. I can hook the hard drive up to another computer on a USB port.
Edwin