Microsoft Outlook Express restrictions

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Microsoft Outlook Express restrictions

Post by frhrwa »

lately, I cannot click on any links in my emails.. even if I go to the toolbar for help, click on contact us, and it gives me a message "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in this computer. Please contact your system administrator"... I AM the system administrator, I've gone through everything I can to find where it suddenly restricted me? any clues where to look to clear this? and how it happened? thanks.. wayne
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Robert Reed

Re: Microsoft Outlook Express restrictions

Post by Robert Reed »

Sorry, I can't help you with that one, but windows is doing the same thing to me-only in regards to their security program. Been working great all these years and suddenly a few days ago its telling me about some crazy restrictions. So far I have not been able to unravel the mess. Just when I thought I had everything in place and humming along fine - now this! :sad:
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Give what is covered here a try:

http://www.computer-aid.com.au/blog/200 ... -computer/

Ron
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

see, this is why i do not allow automatic updates ...lol
if its working fine.. let it be.. i do not see the need for updates all the time..
but that's just me..
if its virus update or flash , java update etc, then i do it.. but anything from microsoft.. no way. unless i am having a problem with a certain thing related to windozzzzzz exploder..
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Just keep telling yourself the updates are for your own good. :)

Ron
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

reloadron wrote:Give what is covered here a try:

http://www.computer-aid.com.au/blog/200 ... -computer/

Ron
my computer blocks that link also.. because of restrictions on my computer that got there somehow?
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

reloadron wrote:Just keep telling yourself the updates are for your own good. :)

Ron
well, I just did a system restore back to the beginning of the month, that wiped clean the last batch of updates, and GOT rid of the problem.. so wonderful Microsoft did it to me again...
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

While updates shouldn't be changing any user settings, I suppose they could change the way a particular security level interacts with emails. I haven't looked deeply into your issue but I would have suggested checking the security tab on the internet settings window. However that point in moot until you unleash the update gremlins again and then it may or may not happen again. I admit, it took me quite a while to find the checkbox to allow me to download "potentially dangerous" attachments in win7 (I know where it is in XP).

I was a diehard outlook express user until I switched to Win7 and I was forced into Windows Live mail client. However, I do not regret it. It is as intuitive as outlook express but has several nice features like sending mail from different accounts to different folders and having read and unread views of the mailboxes. Windows live is actually a set of utilities and is free from MS. I think you can selectivly install them.

Regardless of updates, outlook express is not well supported anymore and not even compatible with Win7