one phone I cannot call

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
hlreed

one phone I cannot call

Post by hlreed »

I have a Vonage internet phone that works except with one number. I call and get 2 sometimes 3 rings and there is a sound and nothing happens. The person at the other end calls back ok.
This started after I installed a Cisco wireless router.
I have tried resseting everything. And putting my Captel phone directly to the router. This problem is with this one phone only.
help.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
haklesup

Re: one phone I cannot call

Post by haklesup »

That sounds so highly specific that ist probably a software glitch, I doubt its your new router. Have you contacted Vonage. I know that with the legacy POTS lines would sometimes get crossed and you had to call the phone company or it wouldn't get fixed. I suppose that's still possible in the computerized phone systems but likly by a different mechanism.

The other likely situation is the other persons phone has a defect or has selective call blocking enabled. Do you have your caller ID blocked. Users can block those calls and you may still hear a ring. A phone providor may or may not play a recording in that event.

Do they hear the 2 rings or is it just you? Does the person call back when they hear the rings and see the caller ID or is the callback unrelated to the initial call (do they even hear your rings). Does the other person recieve calls from other numbers without incedent. Try calling from another phone but block your callerID.
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

I have contacted Vonage and they say it is not them.
the person I am calling calls back so he is recognizing my call.
He says ATT has reset his phone. (unplugging it will reset it.)
I have reset my Captel phone and I will try again.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

your call is going through and the other phone automatically hangs up. I think the problem is on the other end. good luck