Blue screen flash reboot (Repeat)

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
solardude

Blue screen flash reboot (Repeat)

Post by solardude »

Hello Guys, It's been a while since I last talked with you. I was "sobeit" and changed my email and forgot my password , now I wasn't able to retrieve it so I change it to "solardude". This is just FYI so you'll remember me and know that you've helped me a great deal in the past.
Now I have a situation that I have tried many ways to fix this computer to boot from the windows with important data and information. It would start to load for a second and then the blue screen would flash then go back into booting again. If I let it, that is all it would do repeatedly. Okay now let me give you the devices and windows OS I'm working with:
Ch.2 M-500GB=C: drive / Ch.3 M-250GB=E: drive
E: drive is the old drive for whatever memory and will boot to Windows Vista Home Premium with empty folders.
C: drive is the main drive with all the data and is Microsoft Windows Vista in the OS this is the one that is giving a problem to boot up. At the beginning of the loading process this drive has two (2) loading windows. The one that won’t boot up (above) and the other is Windows Vista ™ Home Premium (recovered), if I pick this one it loads me into a whole new windows desktop which has empty files.
And also, at the beginning of this problem I was getting an ERROR message due to volsnap.sys being corrupted or missing and caused me not to be able to boot in Safe mode or restore. I no longer get that message (managed to fix t through C:\tools\repair), and Safe mode goes through the list then BANG blue screen flashes.
I have done a variety of processes to get into the main drive/windows, so if you come up with what I have tried I’ll let you know, other than that PLEASE guys give me more ideas that will hopefully work. Desperate for help, We have conquered many issues together lets do it again.
Thanks guys
Externet

Re: Blue screen flash reboot (Repeat)

Post by Externet »

Hi.
I would install the hard drive with important data and information as a non-booting slave drive in another good-working compfuser.

- If the desired data is accessible, back it up as to a USB drive.

If you succeed to recover your valuables; then it is time to troubleshoot if the endless rebooting comes from a bad PC or a corrupted C drive and do the corrections. What is important is your data, the OS can be reloaded after a deep formatting.

- If your data is not accessible, run a program like Spinrite to the sick drive as your best efforts for success.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
solardude

Post by solardude »

Hi Miguel,
Thanks for the response. I have tried the slave drive process that you have suggested and to come to find out I ha a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HD and it has point to point serial ATA adapter, which will always configure to a master along with another HD. What would be another way to get into this drive and move the data out of it? I know once I do that I can format the drive and reinstall windows to the OS. I really appreciate the help Miguel.

Tony
Externet

Post by Externet »

Try jumping directly to Spinrite downloaded with a healthy (another) compfuser. I believe there may be a couple of sites that somehow :shock: have it for free.

It was a short program I used that maaany years ago from diskette, self booting to DOS. Perhaps it works from CD if selected as first boot drive on the bios.

It may take several hours to overnight for those big drives.

Another simpler program that also worked very well is Norton diskdoctor; I do not know if it is still around; works the same way self booting to DOS.
Come back with results.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jlocke

Post by jlocke »

For anyone interested or in need, here is the link to SpinRite...
http://www.grc.com/intro.htm (Gibson Research Corporation)
JerryR

Post by JerryR »

solardude wrote:Hi Miguel,
Thanks for the response. I have tried the slave drive process that you have suggested and to come to find out I ha a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HD and it has point to point serial ATA adapter, which will always configure to a master along with another HD. What would be another way to get into this drive and move the data out of it? I know once I do that I can format the drive and reinstall windows to the OS. I really appreciate the help Miguel.

Tony
Using a known working PC, You could try and connect the HD via a USB/SATA adapter, and set your bios to disable booting from USB devices( or set the boot order for USB after all other boot devices [last in the list]).
If you are installing the drive internally: some Bios setups include a setting to establish a preference as to which HD is the first HD seen by the system. and might also include a provision to boot from a selected HD only, by disabling all other HDs at boot.
HTH
JerryR
yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
To contact me via Email
replace<####7>with proper symbols
solardude

Post by solardude »

Hello JerryR,
I have done what I could to save the old drive and just installed a new one for the customer.
Come to find out the old HD had many different viruses in it and the heads in the drive were also damaged. Damage caused by the constant force booting which cause the heads to bang back and forth trying to find data to read and wasn't not able to because of the viruses that were in there.
Weird I know but the drive needed to rest. so all in all the customer was happy what I could get out of it and decided to put a higher up HD in and have a better Virus protector installed.
Thanks for your input. I will have another problem posted with an HP...ya I know an HP..that means anything can be the problem.
Thanks,
Tony