USB question

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

USB question

Post by dacflyer »

strange USB question...
is it possible for 2 computers to share 1 printer or 1 scanner ?

here's the scenario. computer 1 has a printer and scanner..can computer 2 be connected via USB to computer 1 ? and work ?
or would i need to use a USB hub ? or what can be done ?
dyarker

Re: USB question

Post by dyarker »

..can computer 2 be connected via USB to computer 1 ? and work ?
Sorry, no.
or would i need to use a USB hub?
Again no.

In USB computers are hosts; and keyboards, mice, printers, etc are devices to be managed (think slaves). Host to host doesn't work, neither does device to device. Months ago some found a box that would let two computers communicate over USB. The box acted as two devices, and repeated data from one port to the other.

Two computers to a hub does not work because both computers would try to be in charge of the bus.

If both computers have Internet access, then you already path through router/hub/WAP. Share the printer on computer it is connected to, browse for it from other computer.

That takes care of printing. Scanning is often harder. You may need (or already have) to install with CD the printer/scanner on both computers, then on computer where printer is NOT USB connected, change port to IP. (or something similar)

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i guess i should have mentioned that these are both macs, there is a program on it, that allows file transfers via usb, i forgot the name of the program, its..Target something.

what about a USB switch box ? any such animal ?
i remember printer switches and KVM switches.. not sure if there is a USB switch. ( manual )
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Are these two computers networked yet? Can they share files etc across a network? If they are not networked they will need to be networked. This link will get you started networking two MAC computers. If they are already networked then this link will get you going with setting up file and print sharing on a MAC.

You cannot network the computers using the USB port(s). The only way you could would be to have a wireless network setup and use a USB WiFi device which I don't believe is what you are after. You can network the computers computer to computer using a single Ethernet cable. You can also use a router for wired connection or even a wireless router.

The bottom line is the computers must first be networked and then file and print sharing enabled on them. They cannot be networked using USP ports and cables. Before I forget, the links pertain to MAC OS X version 2.2 or later operating system.

Target Something? Do you mean target disk mode usb or target disk? I am not a MAC user but a Google of "target disk mode usb" will get you plenty of hits. I believe it allows sharing of a hard drive. Not sure?

Ron
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

not really working to make them networked, i am wanting to make it so they can both share the scanner or printer..
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

dacflyer wrote:not really working to make them networked, i am wanting to make it so they can both share the scanner or printer..
The only way I see that working is if both systems are networked and the machine with the printer attached has file and print sharing enabled. Even with that I don't see scanner sharing working. Now I may be way off base with that as Apple systems are something I haven't worked with in years. I know at one time there was "Remote Scan" but anything like that also requires the TWAIN device be on a networked computer.

Back to printers, there might be a possibility of using a wireless printer, but both computers would need wireless capability. I don't see an easy way out but I may be wrong.

On another note. I really enjoyed my C7 bulbs. It was nice to see a tree of days of old. The neighbors and friends loved it. Thanks.

Ron
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

I kinda know what dacflyer wants to do.

If this were older equipment.....
Two PC's, each with two parallel ports.
First port from each computer could use a parallel port Autoswitcher Print Buffer for just the printer.
Then the second parallel port on each computer, uses another parallel port Bidirectional Autoswitcher to control the scanner.

But since these are both USB, the only thing that would work.
Would to network the computers, and printer together.

Scanner is another problem altogether.
I've never heard of a network capable scanner.
It would have to have some sort of buffer memory to be able to do that.

I'll check around thou........

Signed: Janitor Tzap
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Can't you bring a USB hub from each computer out to a common area and switch
the cables back and forth as needed? USB is hot swappable, so I don't see why you
couldn't do that or even have a switch box made for them (4PDT break before make),
just make sure all is well shielded and no chance of the 2 computers trying to host
the same device at the same time.

I could be wrong....

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

reloadron >> glad you enjoyed the bulbs :D

i too was thinking to use a USB hub, but i was told its not possible..
so i guess its not possible.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Well, not to connect the computers. If you have an individual hub connected to
each computer as an extension and they are easily accessible, you can just swap
the cable between them as needed.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Well, my monkey is going to take another bullet I guess. :lol:

I found what your looking for dacflyer.
Here: http://www.iogear.com/usb-switch.htm

Signed: Janitor Tzap
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Wouldnt it also work to send data from one computer to the other via one USB port, then use another on the 2nd computer to plug in the printer. The first computer would have to send all the data to the second computer and the 2nd would print it.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Nope, unless someone writes a program for the second computer that receives the data, then gives it to print driver which sends it back out by USB to printer.

Is there some religious aversion to LAN I'm not aware of? :???:
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i think that just might work,, i'll let my friend know and she can get it..
thanks again guys.
VernGraner

Post by VernGraner »

Yes, you should be able to share the printer and scanner on a Windows XP PC with a second Windows XP PC via a USB network. instructions are here:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articl ... bmain.html

Hope this helps :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner