program issue.....

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

program issue.....

Post by dacflyer »

is it possible to get a win98 type of software to work on XP?
i have a older program and a video adapter made by "connectix" (QuickClip) now a defunct company.
i have the installation cd, it will not automatically install.. and when i click on a manual set up icon nothing happens.
the cd says for a 98se system. is there anyway i can get the program installed in xp or is there no hope.
i really like this video capture device. its a usb device that i can plug any rca video device into for making videos or modifying pictures etc.
makes for a awsome webcam, using a old camcorder. with auto focus and zoom, and or i can play videos from the camcorder to save or share in video conferencing.
MrAl

Re: program issue.....

Post by MrAl »

Hi there dac,

Sometimes it works to simply right click on the .exe file, then click on "properties", and then select "Compatibility", and then click the check box "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and under that select "Windows 98/ME". That sometimes works if the program is on the computer already.
If it has to be installed sometimes it wont install correctly so you have to actually do that same procedure for the actual install program too, so that the install itself runs in compatibility mode.

Just in case none of the above works, you can try using "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then "Windows 95" instead of "Windows 98/ME", even though you have a program for Windows 98. Remember though that you may have to do this with the actual install program as well as the program that gets installed.

Let me know if this helps ok?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks for the idea..did not know that was a option in xp...
i'll let you know if it worked or not...
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well i tried as you suggested, but it would not take the registry of the program.. also the USB will not recognise the device. so i guess i'll have to find another video capture device thats compatable with XP.
thanks anyway..