Old Norton...

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Lenp

Old Norton...

Post by Lenp »

In the beginning there was Peter Norton and the infamous Norton Disk Doctor along with a suite of other utilities that could recover lost files, search behind the scenes and do many tasks to get you either out of, (or into) trouble. Carefull use saved the day.
The present 'NORTON' is no such an animal.

Is such a suite still available, and what's the chance that if I transferred the old DOS version from the 5.25 disks they would ever make a usefull blink on the screen?

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: Old Norton...

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Rotating Magnetic Storage Repair: Sprinrite
Drive Imaging: Acronis True Image

My personal favorite is System Rescue CD, it can do everything the pay programs can do and more. It's comprised of dozens of open source tools for managing all aspects of a modern (or ancient) computer. You can find more info here System Rescue CD
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Len.
I should have a Norton set of 3 1/2" diskettes in sealed package. Let me know if that is what you are looking for and will send on mail.

The Spinrite mentioned by Setec works great too. It was expensive 15 years ago. Now I do not know.

Edited : added ---> Confirmed; I found the set of 5 Norton diskettes.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

In addition to Setec's link to Acronis (I have to declare that I'm very active on the Acronis forum as an MVP -so I may be biased) there is also Disk Director that can edit disks (though I do prefer the old Norton's), however the current version won't work or install on Windows 7 and the Linux version won't understand the new 2048 sector offset created by clean installs of Vista or W7, though will work happily with the old 64 offset system.

The new sector offset and the requirements of SSD's and large drive manufacturers which align themselves on 4K boundaries is something that needs to be checked with any disk editing utility that was compiled pre Vista/W7 . Whilst you can with most (all?) of these utilities force the new standards where applicable it isn't for the faint hearted. Will Norton's work with new BIOS's and drive sizes?
On a clear disk you can seek forever.