Arduino and Basic programming

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
wirewiggler

Arduino and Basic programming

Post by wirewiggler »

I am wanting to start working with microproccesors, (again), I am leaning toward the Arduino. I understand that they can be programmed with C, but I have some experience with basic, I had gotten into Stamps a few years back, and have backslidden, due to family stuff. Now I want to get back in but not at the Stamp prices. Thanks in advance for you input. Chuck
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: Arduino and Basic programming

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I can't give much input here as I've not used either of those products but I think I found a few links that could prove helpful Arduino, BASIC Stamp killer? & Arduino BASIC?
BobbyDee

Post by BobbyDee »

wirewiggler,

I am new to the forum and I have ordered the Amicus 18 from Crownhill. It is Pic based ( instead of Atmel like the Arduino) and can beprogrammed in basic ( or other languages). The complier is free and it has a USB bootloader. I have been reading through the manual for the past few weeks and finally decided to order it today. I got started in pic programming when I purchased the Proton IDE from Crownhill and have learned enough to do some "basic" programming.
BobbyDee
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

The PicAxe deserves a look at!
They offer a free downloadable basic programmer with simulator that you can run with no hardware to prove your coding.
There is a very active and responsve tech savy forum from novice to advanced members and it is moderated well.
The PicAxe chips are offered in a range from a few I/O pins up to 24 with analog inputs.
They are just a bit more costly than a bare Pic since there is preinstalled code.
If you are so inclined they also offer primitive programming from a flowchart.
I long ago gave up on Stamps due to cost and size.
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
monk

Post by monk »

I can definitely recommend the Arduino.

Although its programmed in C, the whole philosophy of Arduino is about making life easy. So, its C, but a nice easy to use library of commands like:

digitalWrite(myPin, HIGH);

or

int x = analogRead(myPin);

And if you want a book to help you along the way, you could do worse than: 30 Arduino Projects for the Evil Genius - Simon Monk.

--
http://www.arduinoevilgenius.com
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Monk,

Your examples, I would think, are similar to

High (pinnumber, or defined symbol)

Readadc (pinnumber), (variablename)

To each his own choice!

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
BobbyDee

Post by BobbyDee »

Update from BobbyDee
I have since been working with the Arduino Uno and find it much easier to use. The libraries and resources available allow projects to come to life sooner ...with less mind bending. Only down side so far is that the Uno can't be used to ISP program other atmel 328p chips. There are many , many Arduino projects on Instructables as well !
I say thumbs up for the Arduino platform ! Amicus is still great for PIC , just requires more reading and learning curve.
BobbyDee
imurillo723

Post by imurillo723 »

I have done projects in both PIC and Arduino. I find the Arduino is a very nice system to use if you know very well your program flow and want to check out a quick setup with hardware. The PIC is very nice also as you can use the MPLAB to simulate your program and get the bugs out of it before actually burning your program to the chip and trying it out. The PICbasic I do not have experience with, but I hear good things about it as well. I guess it all depends on the complexity of what you want to accomplish and how much $$ you want to put into the project.

Good luck. Choose wisely grasshopper.

Have a great day.....

Sid
BobbyDee

Post by BobbyDee »

Another update from BobbyDee:

I have been doing a great deal ( for a hobbyist) with the Arduino . The possibilities are endless !

I have been using the Arduino and OSEPP ( open source electronics prototyping platform ) Pro and Pro Mini for finished products and find they are awesome. The small footprint and 28 pin layout allow me to use proto board and SIP headers to make hobby grade ( no silk screen though) finished product that is easily software upgradeable.

I can't say enough for the open source Arduino . I still don't consider myself a programmer , but I can get some interresting things to work now ! I am working on a stair lighting system that uses a Nuts and Volts article by Craig A. Lindley . It is called the "Infinity Portal" and was in the August 2011 issue . I emailed him and he gave me some pointers as I want to incorporate a few PIR sensors to start the lighting / timing sequence. It is getting there , but not quite done the way I want it yet !

Time to get back to work ! There is code to write , sensors to sense and lights to light!

BobbyDee :grin:
jwax

Post by jwax »

Newbie to microcontollers, but now have an application perfect for one of the little wonders.
Which is best for a) easy programming (I know no programming languages), and b) simplicity in that only 4-6 inputs, and 4-6 outputs are needed. Looking to use it for timing signals.
Cost is not an issue, and will only need to burn several dozen chips.
Would Basic Stamp, Arduino, Parallax, or others be recommended here?
TIA
John
WA2RBA