Changing file extensions using Windows XP or Win7

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Rodney

Changing file extensions using Windows XP or Win7

Post by Rodney »

I have a CAD program that uses micros written in a form of basic. These are plain text programs like you create in Word Pad. They need to be saved with the extension .d3m but; I seem to not be able to save them in any form using Word Pad. It always ends up putting their own file extension on the end of the title. I can not change the extension when I rename them, the program always reinstalles the Microsoft type extensions after the name change. For instance, if I want to change the name of a file xxxxx.txt to ####7.d3m, it renames the file ####7.d3m.txt. Is there a way to make the program leave the extension I want?
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: Changing file extensions using Windows XP or Win7

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Is there a reason you can't use Notepad? Wordpad adds extra information and formatting to files that can cause problems with certain programs. Do you have "Display known file extensions" enabled?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Yeah, Notepad does the same thing. You have several choices.

1. Simply rename the file in windows explorer after you save it and close wordpad.

2. Put Quotation marks around the file name when you save it, this will cause the file browser to honor your request for a specific name and extension.

3. Change the file type to *.* before you enter the file name in the save box
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I'm a bit unclear on exactly what you are doing. Are you using a built-in editor in CAD or are you using WordPad/Notepad?
If it is a built-in, then it should save it correctly. If you are using WordPad, don't. It will append a secondary extension to
your filename. Use NotePad and select All Files under "Save As Type:" and you will be able to put any (or no) extension on
your file. You could write the script in anything and copy/paste into Notepad too. Just make sure to doublecheck the flow
of everything.

Or you could always rename them as Hacklesup describes. Just make sure you can see the original extension(s).

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?