Internet backup?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Externet

Internet backup?

Post by Externet »

Hi all.
Once one of you smart members pulled out of the grave a link I posted that disappeared or was removed, or the page was updated, or the web site closed by the moment that post of mine was started to be accessed by the members.

How was that rescued ? Where is such place that keeps the removed pages ? How long are they kept ?
Now I perhaps kind of remember if it was an advertisement selling vacuum tubes with the glass removed or something alike.

I think was not here: http://www.archive.org/index.php
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
CeaSaR

Re: Internet backup?

Post by CeaSaR »

Miguel,

Here is the topic you refer to, started by... you. Kheston archived the photo for posterity.

As for the type of site you are asking about, there are several that archive some pages, but not all.
The one I know of is "The Wayback Machine" (ala Peabody and Sherman). There is another one that
someone posted recently, I just can't recall it at the moment. If the guilty party will come forth... :smile:

CeaSaR

Edit: I see that your link IS The Wayback Machine. I wasn't sure of the web address.
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Re: Internet backup?

Post by haklesup »

Looks like it was found in the Google Cache. If you can still find the link in Google but the link is broken, Google will usually have a cached version of the page stored for at least a while. I don't know how long google keeps the cache, obviously if they stored everything a Bot looked at forever they would run out of storage space pretty quickly.

If you really want to save the contents of a page on an otherwise transient site (ebay, craigslist, newspaper and TV sites for example) then you need to save it locally to your HDD.