finding history

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
new guy

finding history

Post by new guy »

Even though I run "CC CLEANER" and other clearing software, can I still find where and when I was on the computer? Using WINDOWS XP how can I se the history even after it is cleaned?
reloadron

Re: finding history

Post by reloadron »

Windows keeps a full history in the index.dat file. When you delete things like cookies or browsing history the index.dat history is not removed. Additionally I am assuming you are referring to the Browser History as in Microsoft Internet Explorer in Windows XP?

Also the history (index.dat) is maintained under the user account. Example would be C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Account\cookies for example. To view the actual file you would need a reader for .dat files. A Google of index.dat reader will bring up several readers.

That is about it in a nutshell and again I think the file you are looking for is index.dat. I have used a few readers but it has been quite some time. Therefore I can't suggest any specific reader.

Actually CCleaner is one of the better free applications for cleaning up the index.dat files. I looked at the file before and after running CCleaner and it did a pretty good job of things.

Ron