virus software

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

virus software

Post by frhrwa »

well, how to begin.. I opened facebook today, immediately my anti-virus SAV program and Windows Defender said I had a virus.. anyway, it starts scanning for all these &&&&& virus's and spyware, comes up with about 40.. goes to a page that says I have to clean them out.. which won't close by the way, you can only hit ok.. so, I tried that, it comes back with "we'll clean it for $79.95 BS... so, since I said screw you, now I cannot open anything.. control panel, documents, you name it.. NOTHING will open.. so, this program I think called total security comes up, starts this phony scan, and locks me up.. my question, what program do I buy over the counter that blows these buttholes out of my computer, and how do I contact the attorney general to report this BS.. I'm sure I DO NOT HAVE all the virus's it says.. its a scam, they lock your computer and charge you to change it back.. thanks. wayne
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
frhrwa

Re: virus software

Post by frhrwa »

I just changed keyboards to a usb unit so I could get to safe mode.. went to control panel and removed the Total Security BS that they maliciously installed on my computer.. now I'm doing a restore to last week to see if that at least opens up my files.. then I still want something STRONG that will block these malicious A$$ holes from doing this stuff.. PLUS, I still want to get to the attorney general regarding mr. total security and to the tv stations and everybody else I can get involved! its time to castrate these jerks that do this..
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

frhrwa wrote:I'm sure I DO NOT HAVE all the virus's it says..
100% correct....... of course now you're infected by the malicious anti virus software though.

To me trying to clean an infection is not worth spending any money so I'll recommend a few free options. If you know your way around a computer I would boot into a "Live" environment to copy off all wanted files and then use this incident as an excuse to get a fresh start with Windows and install from scratch. I'm not one who can trust a computer to be "clean" after an infection, I've seen some nasty code in my life. That being sad you have a few options, none will thrill you though I'm sad to say.

If you can, I suggest giving the following a chance to clean the infection:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.clamwin.com/
http://free.avg.com/
http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

To prevent this from happening in the future I'd switch to Linux (not likely or reasonable but it's out there), to stick with Windows try switching to Firefox. With Firefox I'd give the NoScript add-on a try along with AdBlock Plus. NoScript blocks Javascript from executing on pages you don't explicitly allow and AdBlock is good at preventing malicious ads from loading in your browser. A few very large sites have been surprised by a compromised ad server in the not so distant past, even so-called reputable sites aren't immune to dishing out bad stuff. The NoScript add-on does have a bit of a learning curve but once you get past it you'll wonder how you ever browsed the web without it.

The next line of defense would be something like http://www.avast.com/ which has a web proxy scanner so all of your web traffic is sniffed on it's way in, before the infection.

There are a few variations of all of the mentioned software so if you don't like my recommendations you should be able to find something that suits you, if not we're here to help you further.
kheston

Post by kheston »

I second everything SETEC said with an additional plug for: bleepingcomputer.com. I had a nasty rootkit find it's way onto my machine a few months and their forums saved me when nothing else would.
Kurt - SF Bay
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I dowloaded spy-bot and uni-blu to give them a try.. noticed something else strange.. my MS Office Outlook address book keeps losing email addresses.. I try to send, it comes back because the email address is missing.. I put it in , save it, it dissappears again.. different names everytime I open it are gone.. ?
stephenmorphey

Post by stephenmorphey »

Hello everybody.

Virus is so much dangerous to the computer.
If we can not protect our system with the anti-virus then it will corrupt all the data of our system.
There are so many advanced licensed updated anti-virus soft wares available.
With the use of this software we can protect our system easily.