Linux question

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
psycho

Linux question

Post by psycho »

Ummm, this might be basic but I can't figure this out. I have finally updated the firmware in my router from Openwrt .9 to 8.09.1. All is well with that. I have bandwidthd installed to monitor usage. There is a config file for bandwidthd(.conf). Everytime I edit it (/etc/bandwidthd.conf), the thing keeps my edits (have used cat to verify changes). But, after a while (reboot, maybe?), the file reverts back to the default values.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but I start bandwidthd via
in the file : /etc/init.d/custom-user-startup, I have

ln -s /etc/init.d/bandwidthd /etc/rc.d/S99bandwidthd

What I am aiming to do is use a pcap filter for wan only traffic. Too bad the conf file refuses to cooperate :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Kevin
psycho

Re: Linux question

Post by psycho »

Seems I need to use a UCI configureation... Hopefully this will work.

Kevin
kheston

Post by kheston »

Kevin,

I'm running Kamikaze and haven't seen what you're seeing. However, I haven't yet played with bandwidth.conf (not even sure if it is available in Kamikaze or White Russian).

I've gotten really quick responses from the OpenWrt forums, see what the posters there think.
Kurt - SF Bay
psycho

Post by psycho »

Yeah. I finally got a thread where I got an answer : http://forum.x-wrt.org/index.php/topic,1329.0.html

Don't try to edit the conf file - it will do you no good. The conf file is dynamically built on every run. See that thread for info on it.

But, it (bandwidthd) works quite good once you have it all setup. The only thing is that the stats are kept in ram and they get erased on every reboot.

Kevin
robetjems

Post by robetjems »

Hi Everyone,

I need help. I have worked with VMWare in Windows XP. That's work just amazingly and have run Linux virtually.
I want to run Windows Xp virtually on Linux. I don't know how to create virtual Hard Disk. and How to load tht Image?

Does any one know about this???
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

When you open VMWare and create a new virtual machine for WindowsXP you should be prompted to create a new virtual drive that will automatically be linked to that VM.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

ialongiya wrote:What is the best version of LInux and where can I download it? Also, how does dual booting work and how do I get it? Is it like having 2 different computers or can I access what I have on Linux on my current OS Vista and vice versa?
The best version of Linux is a pure matter of preference and only opinion can be given. However, more and more people prefer Ubuntu Linux as it's well supported and easy(ier) to use. Dual booting works in several ways but the most common is to have a partition for each OS and at boot select which you would like to use. You "get it" by how you install the OSes and in which order. You can dual boot Linux and Windows Vista (or 7) with some effort, XP is less prickly about the situation. In some ways it is like having two different computers but only one can be used at a time (unless you get into VMs but that's another topic). You can access windows files and drives within Linux with little effort but the opposite cannot be said. Windows needs special drivers and software to access the common Linux filesystem Ext3 (now moving toward Ext4).
ksoenk

Post by ksoenk »

ialongiya wrote:
[spam link removed by moderator]
What is the best version of LInux and where can I download it? Also, how does dual booting work and how do I get it? Is it like having 2 different computers or can I access what I have on Linux on my current OS Vista and vice versa?
The best version of Linux is a pure matter of preference and only opinion can be given. However, more and more people prefer Ubuntu Linux as it's well supported and easy(ier) to use. Dual booting works in several ways but the most common is to have a partition for each OS and at boot select which you would like to use. You "get it" by how you install the OSes and in which order. You can dual boot Linux and Windows Vista (or 7) with some effort, XP is less prickly about the situation. In some ways it is like having two different computers but only one can be used at a time (unless you get into VMs but that's another topic). You can access windows files and drives within Linux with little effort but the opposite cannot be said. Windows needs special drivers and software to access the common Linux filesystem Ext3 (now moving toward Ext4).
I am a strong supporter of Ubuntu Linux. Very easy to use!
Cheers,
K.Soenk
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I agree with K.Soenk, Ubuntu is quite easy to use. I have installed it on five different old (out of date units that have been replaced by newer systems) with great success. I have used most of the versions since Fiesty Fawn through version 9.4. In most cases, I just let Ubuntu replace Win on the old computers but have just installed 9.10 as a dual boot on my new laptop with Windows 7. Again, very easy install (no problems at all) and works great with either system. What makes Ubuntu so great in my opinion is that there is a great amount of help and advice online if you need it plus there are so many other free programs available for all disciplines from games, programming, graphics, logic etc. For instance, GIMP is an extremely good photo or graphic image program. Best of all, it seems to work with most accessories with out you having to search for drivers, just plug in and go with printers, wireless etc. I just now downloaded the alpha version of 10.04 but have not installed it yet on anything. I'm told there are some bugs in it that will be ironed out before final release.