USB to serial convertor with Windows Vista

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
MicroRem

USB to serial convertor with Windows Vista

Post by MicroRem »

Hi all, I use a USB to serial converter for programming a Uc based system. The problem I have is that when I plug into the USB, Windows assigns a com port, seemingly randomly each time I plug it in, which then forces me to guess which com port I'm working on. This creates all kinds of issues as my programming program only gives me a couple tries to guess correctly before it locks up. My question is, how do I force Vista to assign the same com port each time to my usb to serial converter?

Thanks

Tom
sofaspud

Re: USB to serial convertor with Windows Vista

Post by sofaspud »

Is it Windows at fault, or is it your converter chipset that assigns the com port?
What type of USB-to-serial converter do you have?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Port number is set in Windows.

I got one of those a couple months ago. The documentation said if the unit was plugged into a different USB port then maybe the port number would change.

On my Vista laptop I labeled the USB port with a Sharpe so I use the same one every time. Haven't had a problem.

Don't guess, look in Control Panel to get/change port number before starting program.

Cheers,
Dale Y
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

As dac was saying, you can go into Device Manager and change the com port to any one you want,
as long as it is not being used already. After you set it, you will know what it is already with no
guessing.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Thanks Everyone! I checked in device manager and sure enough, I can can adjust/verify the port settings as needed. Now, my question is.... how come i didn't think of that????

Again, thanks to all,

Tom