Programming Your Vehicles PCM Via Laptop

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
pcm_this

Programming Your Vehicles PCM Via Laptop

Post by pcm_this »

:razz: Hello, and good day to all. I would like to present a challange to be able to read/write code to any vehicles PCM via laptop. This will enable us to tune the cars computer to suite driving needs according to mechanical modifications made to such. I do not know what hardware/software we will need. I have tried searching for an interface to hook up a laptop to the pcm but all I keep finding is some kind of tuners. I have a 1999 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel that I would like to reprogram to suite my needs. Ok well thanks for listening and if anyone has any info/ideas :idea: or can point me in the right direction :arrow: please don't hesitate. :!:
kheston

Re: Programming Your Vehicles PCM Via Laptop

Post by kheston »

Gosh, pcm_this, can't wait to hear when you've found something. Perhaps you'll even give us a URL...

;)
Kurt - SF Bay
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

I don't think you're likely to find this since from my experience, the aftermarket uses plug in EPROM or Flash chips that replace the OEM chip rather than reprogramming it. That at least implies that the OEM device is a PROM rather than Flash.

I recently had to have my wife's 1999 F250 7.3L PSD (sounds familiar :-) ) towed to the dealer because the PCM was dead (it was cheaper to have the dealer diagnose it than for me to buy a rebuilt PCM). It turned out to be a bad aftermarket chip. The dealer replaced it with the OEM one and it was fine after that.

What do you want to change on the computer that you can't find on the aftermarket?
pcm_this

Post by pcm_this »

You seem to have a valid point Engineer1138 nobody seems to be just reflashing the pcm. I have currently discovered Moates Quarterhorse which plugs into the pcm and uses software via laptop to data log/change pcm behavior in real-time. Unfortunately they are closed this weekend I am going to give them another call next week. I will most likely go this route, at least at first until I understand more of what is going on then I will try to make my own interface possibly using atmel avr atmega16 chip or equivalent. That way it puts me back into my comfort zone (knowing exactly what makes everything work and being able to make changes or replace $4 dollar parts instead of $250 dollar parts. I may even eventually build my own PCM from scratch. Once you are in the driver seat (Total pcm control) if you can think of it you can build it. :o
steveD

Post by steveD »

Have you looked at the Megasquirt build it your self ECU? Here is the link:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

I know a guy who built one and put it on his SVO Mustang and has been quite happy.

There are many aftermarket ECUs out there. I use the AEM in my project car and it allows full tuning of every parameter.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=62

Most if not all of the OBDII ( 1996 and up ) cars and trucks use flash programming so there is no chip to replace.
kheston

Post by kheston »

If you find any good posts about a DIY ODBII interface, please post. I poked around for one some time ago and didn't have any luck.
Kurt - SF Bay
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

kheston wrote:If you find any good posts about a DIY ODBII interface, please post. I poked around for one some time ago and didn't have any luck.
The protocol specs are hard to come by unless you're willing to fork over the dough and purchase the standards manual. If your car happens to use the ISO9141 you'll have better luck making something cheap. I don't like the price much but this chip http://elmelectronics.com/connect.html#ELM327 makes building and OBDII project a snap. It's very easy to interface with a computer or microcontroller. There are several good (and free) Windows and Linux programs that work with the various ELM interpreters. I'm in the process of building an OBDII data logger using the ELM323 chips and a PIC16F627A if you want a little guidance in that area. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up the links for the Windows programs I mentioned.