DELL 9150 YELLOW LIGHT JUST FLASHES

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

DELL 9150 YELLOW LIGHT JUST FLASHES

Post by frhrwa »

My Dell 9150 just flashes yellow when you press the on button.. removed the sound card, no change, removed all connecting cables on rear, no change, removed and changed ram, no change.. ? nothing on screen and no beeps? any clues what to look for?.. thanks.. wayne
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
reloadron

Re: DELL 9150 YELLOW LIGHT JUST FLASHES

Post by reloadron »

First try starting with everything disconnected from the USB ports. That includes mouse and keyboard if you use USB mouse and keyboard. Try that with all power removed from the system and then see if it starts. The problem can also be caused by a failing power supply.

Ron
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I did.. I unplugged all USB, Printer, even the video plug, removed the sound card, changed memory and replaced it back, made sure it wasn't something in the add'on's.. only thing I could think of left was cpu and ps.. thought maybe someone had run into this before.. I'll stick the start up disc in next to see what that does.. if nothing.. well, check voltages I guess.. thanks again..
psycho

Post by psycho »

The first thing I would do is re-seat the RAM. Open the case like you did when you took out the sound card. Look for the RAM stick(s). Remove them and *properly* and *carefully* reinsert them into the slots on the motherboard. I would do this several times.

Psycho
Volter

Post by Volter »

Did it just stop working and started flashing yellow OR did you do something with the hardware?
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

frhrwa wrote:I did.. I unplugged all USB, Printer, even the video plug, removed the sound card, changed memory and replaced it back, made sure it wasn't something in the add'on's.. only thing I could think of left was cpu and ps.. thought maybe someone had run into this before.. I'll stick the start up disc in next to see what that does.. if nothing.. well, check voltages I guess.. thanks again..
The next logical step in checking voltages would be to open the case and look at the main motherboard power connector I guess. Look for a Green wire in the bundle, there should only be a single green wire. On a 20 pin connector (older) that would be pin #14 and on a 24 pin connector that would be pin #16. With the PSU off but rear power applied there should be +5 Volt SB (Stand By) power on that pin. That is the power supply On (active low) voltage. When you press the front panel PWR_ON push button that voltage should transition from a High to Low logic state. Also there should be 5 Volt SB power on Pin 9 (either 20 or 24 pin connector). That line provides a constant 5 Volts SB to the motherboard for assorted wake on features and on newer motherboards the USB ports.

I would start there. Then if the PSU won't actually start you can try to force a start to measure voltages.

Ron
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

frhrwa wrote:My Dell 9150 just flashes yellow when you press the on button.. removed the sound card, no change, removed all connecting cables on rear, no change, removed and changed ram, no change.. ? nothing on screen and no beeps? any clues what to look for?.. thanks.. wayne
Hi Frhrwa,

From the sound of it.
You have a power supply problem. :(
Here's Dell Page on the troubleshooting your model computer.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... #wp1054146

You'll probably need to replace the power supply.
If it's still under warranty, give Dell a call right away.

Signed: Janitor TZap
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

all of these tips sound great, I've already pulled and reseated the memory 3 times, so now I have to look at those 4 lights it says they have? didn't see any, but I'll look again.. I copied the guide and will start fresh again in the morning.. thanks everyone!... I also have to find the copy of the order to see about the warranty.. its not that old, but... thanks again
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

frhrwa wrote:all of these tips sound great, I've already pulled and reseated the memory 3 times, so now I have to look at those 4 lights it says they have? didn't see any, but I'll look again.. I copied the guide and will start fresh again in the morning.. thanks everyone!... I also have to find the copy of the order to see about the warranty.. its not that old, but... thanks again
If this is a ner system and under warranty don't mess with it and just call Dell. Could be PSU or even a motherboard and Dell is pretty good about warranty support.

Ron
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I'll have to get the Dell numbers off of it tomorrow and see if it still is in warranty.. that will be done first for sure.. thanks.. wayne
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

have you unplugged the cd drives , hard drive ?
i had a tricky one before, i unplugged everything, even removed the cards, and ram,
all that was connected was the PS and the powerbutton and the leds. i pushed the power, and it fired up the leds, green light came on.. so i started connecting items up one by one..removing power 1st then trying it.. problem was from a shorted HD...and bad ram.. both were bad.
i think it may have gotten a surge or something.
good luck.

i'd think if the power supply was bad, you'd might get nothing out of it..
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

turned out to be the power supply, got one from Dell and installed it, alls fine now.. finally, thanks for all the help tho.. wayne
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

frhrwa wrote:turned out to be the power supply, got one from Dell and installed it, alls fine now.. finally, thanks for all the help tho.. wayne
That's good. :smile:

Pity that you had to wait a week or so, for the Power Supply.

Just a suggestion......
If your computer is on a AC Line Surge Protector.
Check it, and make sure it is working.
If your not sure.
Check when you purchased the AC Line Surge Protector, and placed it in to service.

Most cheap AC Line Surge Protectors are only good for a few years,
before they have to be replaced.
The better ones {ISO, Belkin, etc...} are good for 5 to 10 years normally.

If you don't have one for your computer, and you have AC Line issues.
{Surges, Brown outs, Power Spikes, Constantly Loosing Power.}
Get a AC Line Surge Protector on it right away!

Most power supplies, be it in your Dell Computer, E-Machine, GateWay.
Have been designed to be made as cheaply as possible.
Yet, supply the bare minimum power needed for the computer to operate.
Thus, this makes them more susceptible to damaged by AC Line faults.

Signed: Janitor Tzap