8051 programming loss

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
ktomecek

8051 programming loss

Post by ktomecek »

Hello Folks...I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with the 8051 processor (I am using Silicon Labs flavor). I have an issue where after programming the processor, it runs fine...usually for a long time. But there are certain cases (and my guess is that it might have to do with low voltage) where the programming seems to become corrupt. Using a fresh power source does not correct the problem. If I re-flash, then it works again. If anyone has any experience, or perhaps any tips where I could seek to find an answer to this issue, I would be Very Grateful.

Regards,
Karl
Bigglez

Re: 8051 programming loss

Post by Bigglez »

ktomecek wrote: I have an issue where after programming the processor, it runs fine...usually for a long time.
Using a fresh power source does not correct the problem.
Have you tried another IC? Possibly from another vendor?
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

ktomecek wrote:I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with the 8051 processor (I am using Silicon Labs flavor).
Is this a UV erasable or electronically erasable type?
If it's UV, is the window blind when the IC is in use?
ktomecek

Post by ktomecek »

I am stuck with this vendor. It is electrically erasable, not UV.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

ktomecek wrote:I am stuck with this vendor. It is electrically erasable, not UV.
Bigglez wrote:Have you tried another IC?
philba

Post by philba »

the first question that comes to mind is how is this thing wired up? also, assuming that it's flash memory based, are you sure your code isn't erasing itself? (it's been known to happen with bootloaders gone amok...) with so little data, it's really hard to be very helpful.
Pius

Post by Pius »

You cannot beat those old processors.

Years ago I built a circuit using a Z80, Z80-PIO, 2716 Eprom. I programmed the eprom to flash some l.e.d. s. Well when I fired up the program it would run for 30 seconds and stop. The program was supposed to make a loop and continue until the power was turned off.

I tried everything , even decoupling capacitors on my bread board. After weeks of research and reading and trying I stumbled upon the solution. I hope this works for you.

Older processors must have all their pins either grounded or connected to the power source, unless they are otherwise connected. NOT A SINGLE line must be left hanging . This was the solution and to this day my circuit works flawlessly. Try this and let us know if it works.

Pius
cena

Post by cena »

Hi Sparkmaster,
I have been seen your question in this better to you can tell me the which IC you are using right now? so that i have littel bit idea about to know that which programming mnemonic fulfill your requirements.And then after we can go with your programming language.