AVG problem

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Setec & ReloadRon
I have a Dell Dimensions 3000 about 4 years old.
I run windows XP & Word Perfect Service Pack 3.
I have Internet Explorer ( I hate it) installed, but my default browser is Netscape 7.0. I would mention here that this version is no longer supported (whatever that means) but I love the layout and operation and it seems to hum along like always. Could non-support be a problem here. I tried the newer version, but they have jumped into bed with AOL and ruined everything. I have all the original installation discs that came with this machine including Windows XP.
The peripherals drivers are :
Fuji Camera stuff
HP printer
Visioneer Scanner
Windstream DSL modem
I have several CAD programs and A ton of electronic info, design and test data, manuscripts past and future. I just want to say one thing here that I am just completing a new manuscript and want to finalyze it and ship off to the editor before I possibbly screw up this machine. Process will take 2-3 days
I have about 3 gigabytes of personal info that I need to save
The only financial stuff is a PayPal account which is linked to my bank checking account.
Windows has a program called remote assistance which I guess will link to anyones computer for "walk thru trouble shooting session.
Also I must repeat - I am a computer illiterate so I might be prone to not locating whatever or push the wrong button at the wrong time.
So armed with this info, are you still sure you want to help me?
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Yep my offer still stands. Remote assistance or some sort of VNC server (TightVNC - Free) would certainly ease the recovery process but I suspect a reliable connection couldn't be made. It's certainly worth a shot though. Just let me know when you're ready to get started and I'll be ready. Do you have a DVD or CD burner? Blank discs? USB flash drive? External hard drive? Instant messaging client other than IRC lol, i.e. AOL IM, Yahoo IM, MSN Messenger, etc.?
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Well sounds like a go. I have some sort of Instant messenger, but never used it or looked at it. Tomorrow I have to pick up a print cartridge at Office Max and I see in todays ads that they have a 'Verbatum 4 GB USB drive' on sale for $12.99.
Would that download all my info? (looks like a large cigarette lighter). I also have 7-8 blank CDs capable of handling anthing in my computer. These are rated at only 600 MB though. Have E drive, D drive and floppy disc drive that installed or retrieved every thing in my computer. Was wondering what problems I might run into with my E-Mail account "when cleaning up"
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Bigglez wrote:
SETEC_Astronomy wrote: Registry cleaners are not something to toy with, the companies that offer them often have ill intent.
Agreed.
SETEC_Astronomy wrote:You don't have to take my word for it either http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/regcure.com (Read the customer comments at the bottom of the page.
What I take away from that link is that regcure has
become a method for third party malware to enter
an OS. I don't see any evidence that ParentoLogic is
to blame. Of greater concern is that it took three
or more emails to them for customer support this
month only to find out that my subscription had
expired months ago. I'm not motivated to renew
based on that fact rather than your claim they are
malware.
I don't know about that particular company. Overall, however, there are some very good tools out there for free. CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) comes to mind:

http://www.download3k.com/System-Utilit ... eaner.html

A Google of CCleaner will yield a dozen download sites. Another excellent tool is HJT (Hijack This):

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-Hij ... 27353.html

CCleaner includes a very good registry cleaning tool as well as other tools. However, it is wise to seek advice prior to blowing away orphaned registry keys. Also, HJT can be an excellent tool but the user has to know what they are looking at. Just those two tools can be a disaster if the user just starts removing files.

Then we have the countless garbage tools that simply suck people right in. The trick becomes doing homework prior to running any tool on your computer.

Ron
Robert Reed

Re: AVG problem

Post by Robert Reed »

Just wanted to add a little closure here since I started the post. All efforts failed and after wiping the C drive, it wouldn't even accept the original OS disc (kept kicking it out). Finally took it to a Pro and he set it up with a different XP disc (not the original Dell I was trying). Price wasn't too bad at $95 and boy does this baby perform now. I hadn't realized how messed up it had gotten over the months (years?). Again-thank you everyone for your efforts in replys.