Hibernation in Vista

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Joseph

Hibernation in Vista

Post by Joseph »

I have to give credit to http://vistasupport.mvps.org/add_hibern ... n_menu.htm somewhere because of hibernation being so important to me. I hope you'll don't mind too much.

The thing about sleep mode that makes it a poor substitute for hibernation for me is that if the keyboard or mouse is bumped, the computer comes on. That is OK if I am going to use it again soon. Now hibernation is an option in the shut-down drop down menu. :)
Joseph

Re: Hibernation in Vista

Post by Joseph »

I did still want to use sleep mode if the time between uses is short,though. But I seem to have the problem that when it comes out of sleep mode, it can't access the harddrive.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi Joe,

I have XP and one of my programs does not wake up either coming out of standby mode.
It's a pain so i dont use standby at all, just hibernate.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Just as an FYI - Windows 7 has a power management scheme that is a hybrid of sleep and hibernation.

Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Hiya Al. I was keeping a sharp eye on it this morning when I woke it up. I was relieved that it worked this time.

Colin, that was one thing that had made me leery about the power schemes in Vista as well. The old ones in XP and earlier were good and it seemed that the hybridization was losing options without much if any benefit over the two old ways. I had actually gone into the power settings and had it bring back both and have them available for use. Sleep has qualities that I like just as they originally were like the old hibernation does.

Thank you both for your thoughts.