GNIPYT SDRAWKCAB

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Lenp

GNIPYT SDRAWKCAB

Post by Lenp »

This is making me nuts! I have a less than one year old Dell Inspiron laptop, running updated Win10, that occasionally shows typed entries in browsers and some web forms backwards, Not the letters, but the letter order, like the heading above. Interesting that it only does it sometimes and NEVER in any other application, but only occasionally on web sites, (like this forum) but more frequently in browsers!

I have an open service ticket with Dell and they are absolutely clueless. One chat line 'expert' told me to restart the computer and check BIOS for some things. I mentioned we would be disconnected and asked how to get back in touch with him. He said 'I will be here waiting for you to finish" There were no such suggested settings in this bios and guess what. He was also, as expected G O N E!
He was not a technician, and an even worse magician.

So far I have...
Checked the drivers but the Dell sites they are up to date.
Reinstalled keyboard driver did not help. Verified that the region settings and language are correct.
Read widespread chat about Ctrl-R Shift and Ctrl-L Shift changing the direction of text, but that does nothing in this system.
Found a blog that mentions that an older version of Java, which is heavily used in web sites may be the cause. Upgraded to latest version, no changes. Unfortunately all these alleged 'fixes' I expect would affect the entire machine, not selectively web sites and browsers, like Firefox, Chrome and Opera.
So, is it Win 10, The Dell Laptop, a Java issue, all buggy browsers, or just a case of bad JuJu?

With an open invitation to all the combined experts among those few remaining forum members, I'm open to all suggestions, incantations or brands of incense and holy oils that may work!
Thanks to all!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
CeaSaR

Re: GNIPYT SDRAWKCAB

Post by CeaSaR »

I can tell you that Java is deprecated, and all major browsers don't use it (or at least protest when you try).

Is it just the typing or the whole page is mirrored?

Try:
https://support.google.com/chrome/threa ... to-r?hl=en
Most of these you've tried, but answers further down may help:
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ho ... es-easily/
This one suggests a mouse problem:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-fix-a- ... -backwards

Lastly, go to your browser settings, and check everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to make sure no weird setting have been applied. For example, your language should say English (we've met, so yeah, that's correct) and all your other language related settings should match. Same with your Fonts, they should be the standard fonts you're used to seeing, not something odd or unknown.

Lastly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgUw0AkJMM

Shout back with results.
Hey, what do I know?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Just browser?
Does not sound like a keyboard problem, but display.
Been to any sites that were in Hebrew or Arabic? Those are right to left reading, they would thay set in program window code by an extended style.
Dale Y
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Just upgraded my computer and got to Win10. I was typing a reply on YouTube and highlighted a section of my text in the reply box to right click to see if any formatting was available, and I saw a setting there that set the writing direction. Give that a looky-loo.
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi CeaSaR
Thanks for all your input but this is really gotten to be a nutty issue.
I can use any browser and it will type properly, then occasionally, the next time, or entry, it will reverse. After Enter is pressed, the next line entered is right again. This is totally random, and cannot be duplicated. Once it happens, I can backspace and it deletes the backwards text, but is still reversed if new text is entered, without the Enter key being pressed. This also occurred in one web site's entry block, but that was the only case outside of a browser.
There is supposed to be a key combination in WIN 10 , CTRL+LSHIFT, or CTRL+RShift, that reverses the text but it does not work on this system, or another win 10 box so maybe it is version specific. (Both are Dell systems) . I would think if it was a driver/hardware/fluke it would affect any text, but, it does it only with a browser??

I deleted JAVA, as you suggested, removed then re-installed the keyboard driver, checked the region and language settings. This system has a 'gesture' mode for the touchpad and that I disabled in the hopes that some sloppy thumbs may be mucking it up. At the end, nothing made a change. I've run several AV scans with nothing found, and web searching has not shown a possible virus suspect (*unless this a new variant!).
The system is an almost out of warranty Del Laptop, and Dell has been useless except for their weekly --"How Did We Do Survey" from tech support. Negative ratings and comments just generate the same weekly detritus!
Do what next...Who knows.
I'm starting to miss my Apple IIe :razz:
Len

dyarker

Post by dyarker »

A search on CTRL+RShift shows that as used by OneNote, not Windows in general.

Do you use OneNote?

I am on a HP, Windows 10 64 bit laptop. Sometimes typing just stops going to the focus window and beeps for each keystroke. I have to click mouse in text box to continue. Or, a background program will pop to the top on screen and have focus. Seems Windows 10 easily confuses itself!

Cheers,
Dale Y
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

If you use an external keyboard, are you able to replicate the problem? If not, I'll put money on the lappy's keyboard having an intermittent defect, possibly near the enter key.
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Thanks for all the responses, but the issue is still there.
It happens ONLY in search bars like Google, Amazon and select others, When it happens if I press 'ENTER' and start again, it is OK.
It is totally random and cannot be duplicated. I was suspicious that some accidental 'gesture' on the touchpad may be triggering the reverse typing but I cannot duplicate it, and gestures are turned off. But again, why does it happen only in search boxes? Never, and I repeat Never, does it do it in any software application, so that kind of a rules out the keyboard, driver, region, language and all the hundreds of useless posts that say the same thing . I call that CPPI Cut Paste Post Intellect! And yes, cussing does help me cope with it a bit!

So gang, any new ideas? Am I missing something?
Len

Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Sorry, I haven't thrown in my two cents.
But I've got way too many things on my mind these passed years.

Well,
Do you have Chrome on your machine?

Here's something I found.
Have you tried to clear the Chrome browser's cookies and cache?

On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More More.
Click More tools and then Clear browsing data.
Choose a time range, like Last hour or All time.
Select the types of information you want to remove.
Click Clear data.

If the above doesn't work then I recommend turning off any third party extension:

On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More More and then More tools and then Extensions.
Make your changes:
Turn on/off: Turn the extension on or off.

Looking forward to an update and assisting further if needed.

Best,
Ms. Drasby
(Volunteer Support & NOT Google Employee)

Signed: Janitor Tzap
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Alright, something Dale said above sparked a wild thought.

Certain languages read left to right. Now, if you have translate on by default, you may see these languages in standard US English, both text and reading order. But, when you start typing in the Search or URL bars, it will most likely (I say "most likely" because I cannot recreate the issue) start typing in the page's native order until the enter key sets the translate focus to the bar.

Yeah, it's a W.A.G., but it's as good as the rest.
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hopefully this will be the last follow up on this post, the problem is gone.
Somewhere between Dell and Windows many up/down grades it vanished.
Nobody's talking about who, what, why...you know the rest!

!enog syats ti epoh s'teL
Len

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

possibly a video driver got updated or an actual bug fixed. Windows makes a lot of changes quietly.