LCD and Gyroscope

If you've built a project from the magazine, or have something fun and interesting to share, show it off here!
Carmelita

LCD and Gyroscope

Post by Carmelita »

I am using Stone's LCD if the LCD itself does not come with a gyroscope, but I want to accomplish some functions like being able to rotate 360° to view a model on the LCD. Suppose I connect an external microcontroller and an MPU6050 module, is it possible to achieve this function?
haklesup

Re: LCD and Gyroscope

Post by haklesup »

The MPU6050 chip and similar chips are available on a module with interface PCB for Arduino from Adafruit and sparkfun from various sellers so I would say integrating accelerometers like this one with most uControllers should be possible, especially if you can find a code library and use it out of the box for development. you should look in forums specialized in the chip or programming language you are using for more application advice

note these accelerometers have either digital serial output or 3 channel Analog output. you probably want the digital ones but the analog ones might be good at making variable RGB light toys that change color and brightness as you move it around without much digital circuitry.
Carmelita

Post by Carmelita »

I can use a variety of microcontrollers, Arduino, raspberry pi, esp32 are available.

I want to implement a 3D model with 360° viewing.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Do you mean like AR or VR type apps? Move the screen around and view the 3D model? Interesting but synching graphics to the accelerometer output is way over my head. r-Pi with good graphics on board already seems like the best platform to start with. Sounds like you need more than just a uController, you need a whole single board computer system module with a GPU, r-Pi fits that bill and so do a few lesser known dev kits like BeagleBone.org

https://www.mouser.com/new/seeed-studio ... ndustrial/

Here is a new one I didn't know about before that looks interesting if not a little more costly
https://tinker-board.asus.com/product/tinker-board.html
Carmelita

Post by Carmelita »

You are right, what I mean is that a 3D model is displayed on the LCD, and the viewer can drag and drop the model with his finger to achieve multi-angle viewing.

Inspired by the everyday use of cell phones, when we look at an object that can be rotated, we can use our fingers to rotate it.

The screen I use is different from the phone in that it does not have a built-in gyroscope. My screen is a smart touch display and I think an external gyroscope module might be able to achieve the same function.

You can take a look at the information about my screen and if you can give good advice that would be great.

https://www.stoneitech.com/product/by-a ... wt-01.html
Carmelita

Post by Carmelita »

But now I have a new problem, I've never made a 3D model before and I'm not sure what kind of image format the 3D model is in. My LCD can support jpg, bmp, png, svg and gif.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

None of these formats are inherently 3D, you will need some kind of code module to interpret a 3D format. 3D PDF and STEP are portable formats but big and needs lots of code to support them but then there are formats also supported by windows 10 Paint3D which may be better supported for what you are wanting to do. There are a bunch and I am unfamiliar with most, its a good place to start looking though.
AlbertDcosta

Post by AlbertDcosta »

We can monitor rotation along all three axes, static acceleration owing to gravity, as well as motion, shock, or dynamic acceleration due to vibration, utilizing the MPU6050's gyroscope and accelerometer.