How Do You Create Stripboard Layout in Microsoft Word?

If you've built a project from the magazine, or have something fun and interesting to share, show it off here!
fredhatfield

How Do You Create Stripboard Layout in Microsoft Word?

Post by fredhatfield »

I am attempting to build the stripboard circuit in the current (August) issue of N&V that uses the
Raspberry Pi. In previous issues, Ron Hackett suggests using a graphic layout in WORD that helps
show component placement so that a permanent breadboard layout can be produced. He suggests
using WORD to generate a pattern for soldering the components to the stripboard so that the circuit
can be generated and used like a PCB.

Can anyone show me how the pattern is created in WORD that will allow me to do this?

Thanks for any help...

Fred.
cpprioli

Re: How Do You Create Stripboard Layout in Microsoft Word?

Post by cpprioli »

Personally, I use ExpressPCB and its companion ExpressSchematic quite a bit. Once I have my schematic laid out and I know where I am going with the prototype, I then move over to ExpressPCB. Here is where the fun starts.

You see, I have created in the ExpressPCB software (and would be happy to share with other ExpressPCB users) blank proto-boards in most of the popular sizes, including the basic 40x60mm size, the 50x70mm size, the Adafruit 1/4-Sized, Adafruit 1/2-Sized, Adafruit Full-Sized, Adafruit Min-Tin-Sized, BPS SB404, and so forth. I have a blank for each of the various proto-boards that I have used.

To lay out the prototype, I simply choose the board that it is going to be built on and open up the corresponding blank board in ExpresssPCB. I can then add in the various components and jumper wires as needed, right there in the software. Once I have arranged everything in the software, it is a simple matter to copy that layout in real life on the actual board. Remember to immediately save the board to a new name representative of your project, so as to avoid overwriting your blank board.

This method lets me make sure that everything will fit with the least amount of fuss and bother. If you want to get a copy of any of the blank .PCB files that I have made, just drop me an e-mail or PM...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting there is half -- hell, make it three-quarters -- of the fun... but don't let the magic smoke get out!

-ChrisP