ReUsing Power Wart Devicer Connectors

If you've built a project from the magazine, or have something fun and interesting to share, show it off here!
montyw47

ReUsing Power Wart Devicer Connectors

Post by montyw47 »

I have many power warts from everything from a shaver to a Zip drive. They have such a variety of size plugs I need the connectors that are in devices. The male socket has a male center pin and female outer connector.
A Sony Walkman has a special small size plug, so I need proper small mating connector. It is smaller than 2.1mm which is one of 2 common sizes 2.1mm & 2.5mm Got those from http://www.ebay.com but I need smaller & bigger size connectors. Some are as small as 0.7mm and the laptops power connectors are bigger than 6+mm. Radio shack has about 15-20 connectors for the Enercell Adaptaplug series power replacement line connectors each size corresponding to a letter & colored ring on the from of the plug

Some op amp circuitry needs 2 polarity power ,so 2 warts can power these circuits. Some warts have significant power output. Thought I saw a project or something in N&V about using different size warts. It may have been years ago. What sizes are available and where to get them?

Regards,
Jack T.
Toms River, NJ
dacflyer

Re: ReUsing Power Wart Devicer Connectors

Post by dacflyer »

check with Mouser and or digikey..
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Way back when I needed a plug for my portable cassette player, Radio Shack had the right size. I just don't recall what size it is. They weren't part of the Adaptaplug sets, but were packaged in pairs. Places like All Electronics, Marlin P. Jones, or BG Micro often have good discounts on wall warts and their coaxial connectors.
N&V had articles on How To Craft A Small-Wart in January 2003 and Taming Wall Warts in April 2008.
gerty

Post by gerty »

One of my students went to a Goodwill store and found a box of 27 wall warts, all different sizes and voltages. He paid $.75 ea for the whole box. I went to tha same store about a year later and bought a box of 10 for $10...inflation I guess......
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

not really inflation, it depends on the individual store..i goto GW a lot.
montyw47

Post by montyw47 »

tried to go to the jan 2003 crafting a wall wart but the archives stop at 2008 so that is a show stopper. Tried to retrieve the Nov 2008 Taming Wall Warts page 74 but the page would bnot complete the IE iondicator showed page still loading so never got to the article.
Thanks for replies guys!