boosting an electric fence

If you've built a project from the magazine, or have something fun and interesting to share, show it off here!
indios

boosting an electric fence

Post by indios »

I am a beekeeper in Northern ontario, lots of bears. I need to boost or make a "hotter" one, I read somewhere that adding another capacitor will boost the output voltage? any ideas?
dacflyer

Re: boosting an electric fence

Post by dacflyer »

Find a fence charger with the longest mileage on it, usually they go by how many miles they will produce..
you could try and find a ( but not recommended ) a HV transformer, bug zapper transformers have a nice kick to them,,higher voltage, but very little Ma.
I used to clear weeds from fences with a high voltage and high current transformer.. ( NEON Transformer ), but beware, this is a dangerous use of them,, especially if people or animals get tangled up in the fence,, it could kill them..
You might try and search for a constant current fence transformer, the ones that pulse don't seem that effective.
Jastreb_J21

Re: boosting an electric fence

Post by Jastreb_J21 »

I can confirm that the HV transformer mod makes electric fences extremely effective, when I was a kid, many farmers in the village I lived in did that to ward off wild boars, and it worked, even if boars are big, strong beasts.

... you may well have to check how legal it is to do so, though. These farmers were doing it because it was the 80s, and because they were friends with the mayor and with the only 2 policemen in a 30 kilometer radius, it wouldn't fly these days and they could be locked up for that.