DC motor controller

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
badtube

DC motor controller

Post by badtube »

I picked up and old wheel chair and got the motor controller out of it. I wanted to try and use it for a soft start controller for an auto starter motor. I have a gyrocopter that uses a 24 foot , free spinning rotor blades. I presently use a starter motor to start it spinning, but you have to momentary press a button and that hits the starter with the full current. I was thinking that maybe with this controller I could soft start the rotor blades a little at a time until up to speed.
I have seen controllers advertized that you can use a 5k pot for speed control of a motor. But they are rather expensive to purchase just for me to experiment with. I came across this old controller and wanted to experiment with it.
Would anyone know where I can get a schematic for controllers or info on them? It is an Invacare mod. 1109528

Thanks

Roger
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Invacare has this to say about their products:

"Invacare does not disclose drawing schematics to the public."

You may see the full FAQ that I found here.

Maybe you could post a photo of the controller. That might give someone
an insight into how it works.

Good luck.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Bigglez

Re: DC motor controller

Post by Bigglez »

Greetings Roger,
There was a similar thread on another forum, here.
badtube wrote: I wanted to try and use it for a soft start controller for an auto starter motor.
I would not expect a motor controller of this type to
operate an auto starter motor, which could draw
several hundred amps under load.

Why not find two six volt batteries and start with
one to get the motor moving, then swap to both
for full power?

Comments Welcome!
badtube

motor controller

Post by badtube »

Hi guys,
thanks for the replies, I figured the company wouldnt offer any help.
I can reverse engineer the thing. It would just be eaiser with a schematic.
When I was younger reverse engineering was fun but now I am older and I guess less patient. But this one may be interesting.

That was my post in the general forum too. I just thought maybe you robut guys would know more about it since you deal a lot with PM moters for you bots.

I think the controller will handle a PM starter, which is what most starters are these days. The motor wont be drawing as much current starting a rotor on a gyrocopter as it would on a high compression engine. I will just have to hook it up and see.
Thanks
Roger
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ya know, some electric bike motor controllers have a soft start feature,
i have a china made one on my bike, that i salvaged off of a electric scooter its a 24 volt controller rated at 40 amps. it is right now connected to a 36 volt 550 watt electric motor to drive my bike. wish i had the room to attach another battery to get 36 volts to it. but i am space limited to just 24 volts.
not sure how many volts/amps your motor is. but good luck..
seen some guys have a cable driven starter that runs off of a wheel that rubs on a flat pully off of the engine shaft.
yusha

dc motor

Post by yusha »

www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk
jaycare has a kit that might do what you want .its a 12-24 volt dc motor control.
jmw
heheman3000

Post by heheman3000 »

That is actually a controller for a brushless motor, which apparently isn't what you want. I'm interested in buying it though. E-mail me at mizzao _AT_ gmail.com if you want to make a deal.
yusha

motor

Post by yusha »

Sorry ,I do not have this controller.I just seen it in a catalouge.
Josh