ROBO ARM FOR MY PC

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
DAMNNATIONX

ROBO ARM FOR MY PC

Post by DAMNNATIONX »

Where to start :D
Im building a mod for my pc:D
i want 2 robo arms one each side to function through xp. on boot up id like them to go from one pre programed position to a second pre programed position. and on shut down to revert to original positions. idealy the movents could be programed in via xp based software and saved and that the arms be connected to back of pc or internaly.

I must warn im a complete novice and would liek a step by step instruction guide on how to build and program this no matter how long it takes.

So my question is has anyone tried this before or done it? if so where do i start? idealy id like to purchase parts software and build it step by step like a puzzle so if anyone can advise me id be greatly appreciated..

8) thanks in advance
jaem

Post by jaem »

Can you give us a bit more info? Is this purely decorative, or do the arms serve a function while the computer is on?
You could use servomotors, but they can be a bit pricey. Sites like http://parallax.com sell them, although if you're in the US and don't want to pay shipping, I've seen servos for the VEX kit for $10/each. (Darn you Americans and your good electronics stores... just kidding ;) I would note they have a nonstandard pin order on the cable, so don't just plug them in according to a general pinout.

Do you have a laptop or desktop? Which part of the computer are these going to be mounted on?

Also, what interface to the computer do you want? A COM port would probably be the simplest, since USB requires a hefty (e.g. $1500, I think) fee every couple of years for a Vendor ID. It also has good programming support.
Do you have any programming experience? It likely wouldn't be too hard to do, but there aren't many people who would have the time to code something for someone else's one-time mod. (at least for free)

What microcontroller do you want to use? If you have the budget, a Basic Stamp (see the Parallax site) would be by far the easiest. I've also seen them in US Radioshacks, and RP Electronics in Burnaby, BC (right next to Vancouver). If you want something cheap, you can get PICmicros from http://microchip.com for a couple of $$'s, but unless you have one of the few computers with an up to spec voltage COM port, you'll have to spend at least $50 on a USB programmer, or pay them a bunch to pre-program it. There may also be someone online who has one willing to program it for you. If I had the time, I might be willing to do that, but no promises... If you have a non-free e-mail address (e.g. academic or corporate) you can actually get the PICs free from http://sample.microchip.com

In general, how much electronics experience do you have?
If you give us some more info, we can probably figure out something, but I'll have to presuppose some knowledge of the concepts.
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

This site has a few with PC software http://www.hobbytron.com/RobotArmKits.html
DAMNNATIONX

Post by DAMNNATIONX »

The arms will be mounted on each side of the tower case. whilst off! arms to be in a deactivated state/possition then once power button is pressed i want them to rise to the occasion so to speak and alighn to a point that will be able to hold a i dunno say a lamp or a fake gun hehe. The purpose is purely asthetic and fun i guess. obviosuly the graphics of the case will be like that of a robot as well. Ideally id like to be able to change the program that controls the arms to move in difrent ways aswell as it would be boring to do the same move all the time. As for how its connected to the pc im not al lthat fussed but idealy id like it to be internaly done as apposed to externaly.

maybe too expensive to do it the way id liek it to work but then maybe motors and micro switches that trigger each other maybe cheapest way to do it, only thing with that way is il have no control over it via pc.

I have no skill in electronics or programing but i am a quick learner.although difficulty in reading writing as dislexic.

has anyone made a robot arm controled by pc just for fun ?
DAMNNATIONX

Post by DAMNNATIONX »

just looked at that link to the hoby site and that 79 dollar robot arm is what im after. i could bolt 2 of those to the sides of my case or something simualr to those arms and i guess all id need then is some kind of interface/software to control the 2 arms together? but would i be able to make them perform a set of motions pre-programmed in on boot up? maybe code it into the systems start up ?
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

Arrick robotics: www.arrickrobotics.com used to have kits/products like this. So did LynxMotion, but I don't know if they're still around.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

I have not read the new issue yet... but I think the new servo magazine may help

http://www.servomagazine.com/

maybe try heading up to your local B & N and check out the magazine rack!
Droidwerkz

Post by Droidwerkz »

if you are a complete novice , you need to study up a bit on dc motor control using qbasic or visual basic (visual basic would be cool , because you could control the arms with your mouse!) commands. once you understand thisa , you can easily write a qbasic program to run your paralell port to run a motor and check limit switches , add the qbasic program to your startup file or autoexec.bat (i'm unfamiliar with xp)

if you want the REALLY EASY way to do it , and have access to compressed air , you can have a 12vdc solenoid run off of a 12vdc line of your computer's power supply , as long as your computer is on, the solenoid will remain open, allowing you to run a piston. your stop sensors would be unnesecary at this point, all you would need is a mechanical stop that will stop the arms (levers really) at predetermined "up and down" points and it will be held up while the solenoid is open and return to a lowered position when air is shut off. be sure to use a pressure regulator in-line with your air supply as you dont want to have 100 psi slamming the cylinder forward every time you turn your computer on!

it wouldn't cost 79 dollars , and if you are any good with machinery it would be easy to build.

just a couple of ideas here,