Radio Electronics Unicorn One robot article

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
tymtravlr

Radio Electronics Unicorn One robot article

Post by tymtravlr »

During the early 80s R.E. ran several issues on building a robot called the Unicorn One. One of the issues gave drawings on building the arms, which were very detailed. I have been looking for this issue without any luck. If any one knows the or has an issue please let me know.

Thanks
Joe
Eman

Post by Eman »

If you are still looking for the RE issues with the arm details I have them. I will have to scan them. The 2 part series was in the August and September issues of RE.
tymtravlr

Post by tymtravlr »

Eman wrote:If you are still looking for the RE issues with the arm details I have them. I will have to scan them. The 2 part series was in the August and September issues of RE.
Eman
Yes PLEASE, I am still looking for them. I have searched eveywhere and have had no luck. Thank you

Tymtravler
Eman

Post by Eman »

I have scanned the pages, just need an email addy to send them to or if you wish I can snail mail to your address.

Eman
tymtravlr

Unicorn1 Robot update

Post by tymtravlr »

Your the best
[email protected]

Thanks again

Tymtravlr
Eman

Post by Eman »

Just sent them your way. If you need anything else drop me a line. Glad I could help.

Eman
Karl Williams

Unicorn 1 articles

Post by Karl Williams »

Hi tymtravlr,

I've got almost all of the radio electronics Unicorn-1 articles scanned and put into a .pdf if you still want them.

It's too big to email so I'll put it on my webserver and send you the link...

Take care, Karl
VernGraner

Re: Radio Electronics Unicorn One robot article

Post by VernGraner »

tymtravlr wrote:During the early 80s R.E. ran several issues on building a robot called the Unicorn One. One of the issues gave drawings on building the arms, which were very detailed. I have been looking for this issue without any luck. If any one knows the or has an issue please let me know.

Thanks
Joe
I found the cover:

:smile:
--
Vern Graner
Karl Williams

Post by Karl Williams »

I've uploaded a PDF (36 pages) containing most of the scanned Unicorn-1 articles to the www.scribd.com website for everyone to view or download:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3231860/Unico ... ectronics-

There are a few more articles I need to scan to complete the series.

Take care, Karl
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

That is TOTALLY AWESOME!
Mark Dusko

Post by Mark Dusko »

Karl Williams wrote:I've uploaded a PDF (36 pages) containing most of the scanned Unicorn-1 articles to the www.scribd.com website for everyone to view or download:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3231860/Unico ... ectronics-

There are a few more articles I need to scan to complete the series.

Take care, Karl
Wow, thanks Karl. I always wanted to read these. I remember seeing that Radio-Electronics published all of these in a book but I was 13 at the time and didn't have a way to order it.

BTW, Karl, Are you the author of the BERT robot that was published in BYTE magazine? That was a great article! I used to go to the library and read what ever I could find on robots when I was a kid and much of it was in computer magazines. There wasn't too much out there at first, but as the 80s rolled on, much more became available. It's awesome today to see so much interest.
Karl Williams

Post by Karl Williams »

Hi Mark,

I was 13 years old too at the time of the Unicorn-1 articles and always looked forward to reading the next issue. I'd spend most of my time at the library going through the Tab robotics books too. I've got book cases full of all those old robotics and electronics books now but my favorites back then were the first edition of Gordon McCombs Robot builders bonanza, Apple II robot projects by Blankenship and How to build your own computer controlled robot by Loofbourrow. I still like flipping through those books once in a while...

I think the author of the Bert articles in Byte magazine is Karl Brown - there seems to be a few Karls writing robotics articles and books - LOL.

I've written 3 robotics books for McGraw-Hill and am working on something different for the next book. I wrote the 'Hexatron' robot article in the premiere issue of Servo.

Take care, Karl
Mark Dusko

Post by Mark Dusko »

Karl Williams wrote:I think the author of the Bert articles in Byte magazine is Karl Brown - there seems to be a few Karls writing robotics articles and books - LOL.

I've written 3 robotics books for McGraw-Hill and am working on something different for the next book. I wrote the 'Hexatron' robot article in the premiere issue of Servo.
Oops. Karl is a popular name in robotic circles it does seem! I do remember and enjoyed the Hexatron article. Keep up the great writing.

I think my favorite TAB robot book was BUILD YOUR OWN WORKING ROBOT by David Heiserman. It was all done with logic chips. Robot builders have come very far and yet there is still so much more to reach for!
Pius

David Heiserman

Post by Pius »

I read David Heiserman's books when I was younger and they are still on my shelves for reference. He was one of the unsung heros for robot builders.
Robotjam

Re: Radio Electronics Unicorn One robot article

Post by Robotjam »

Hi, I am new here and I plan on building the mighty Unicorn-1 but would like to know if anyone has had any trouble with getting the 16 LED flasher to work, I cant figure what I did wrong.

Thank you