iRobot Robotic vacuum cleaner schematic diagrams

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
Malnati

iRobot Robotic vacuum cleaner schematic diagrams

Post by Malnati »

I am looking for a source for the schematic of a iRobot 4215. The iRobot Corpation has refused to release any technical data.

The specific issue is that the main brush motor does not turn. I checked the drive motor for continuity. It's OK. The motor drive electronics appears to be the problem. I need the schematic to take this further.

Can anyone help with a source for diagrams, or clues on troubleshooting?
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

A schematic would be handy to have but in my experience they are very hard to come by for modern commercial products. To find the problem I think all you really need is a multimeter. If the motor checks out mechanically and electrically I would start following circuit traces back to what is most likely an H-bridge motor driver. Test the H-bridge for any obvious flaws. If the H-bridge checks out I would follow the circuit traces further along the board. If the H-bridge (or other motor driver) connects to a uC you may be out of luck if the controller is bad and can no longer drive the pins as normal. If the microcontroller is bad your options are pretty limited. You can try to obtain warranty service, attempt a homebrew fix, make a custom bot or scrap the item for parts. These are my opinions and thoughts, I hope they have helped in some way.
tymtravlr

IRobot

Post by tymtravlr »

The vacuum schematic will most likely have been sent to the patent office, I have found several great sources of information at this office in Alexandria Va. I don't know if they can send it to you but you can research it there. Hope this helps.