Dual +3.3v/+5.0-6.0v Power Supply For Servos and IMU

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
BobCochran

Dual +3.3v/+5.0-6.0v Power Supply For Servos and IMU

Post by BobCochran »

Can someone point me to a circuit which can be put on a small PCB that can take unregulated 11.1v power from a lithium polymer battery and regulate it down to one output of +3.3v and one output of at least +5v to a maximum of +6v. In other words, a regulator capable of producing two different voltage outputs.

The +3.3v output will be connected to an inertial measurement unit. This is just a PCB with two ICs.

The +5 to +6v output will be connected to two servos. Both are GWS brand S03N 2BB units modified for continuous rotation.

I am comfortable soldering a PCB. Perhaps there is a kit that can fill this need? I'm still learning how to read circuit diagrams, but I should be able to manage them.

As a related question, will the current draw from the servos starting up and then running really be a lot? Would it interfere with the 3.3v output, causing a voltage drop?

Thanks

Bob
bic

Battery with outputs 5 or 3.3V

Post by bic »

You may want to consider the units we offer at www.bodhilabs.com.
They are perfect for small application, can can run off either 1 or 2 batery cells.

Bic
arealperson

Post by arealperson »

Somewhere on your battery it should tell you how many amps hrs. it can supply. If you have a meter (you should if you are going to do any work in electronics) you can see what the servo draws under load. Most servos have very small motors, a good guess would be about 600 ma under load. So if your battery can supply at least 1.5 amp/hr you will be fine.
ericvb

Re: Dual +3.3v/+5.0-6.0v Power Supply For Servos and IMU

Post by ericvb »

Hi Bob,

I'm trying to compile the Balancing Bot source code.
Can you help me with this ?

Thanks
Eric V. Barreto.