Very large X-Y flatbed

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
V5591g

Very large X-Y flatbed

Post by V5591g »

I want to build a very large X-Y flatbed what will position a robotic arm to perform rather complex motions in multiple directions. Extreme accuracy, power, and speed are not required. But the flatbed needs to address an area of approx. 48" by 72". My searches regarding X-Y flatbeds so far find mostly references to plans for routing machines, and generally on a much smaller scale. First I need to acquire or build the robotic arm and work on the programming, from a fixed position, to perform the needed tasks. Secondly I need to build the large X-Y positioner capable of supporting the arm. I envision the arm as completing its tasks over one area at a time, then reposition its coordinate and proceed until the large area has been covered. I would appreciate any guidance that might help (sites, sources, plans, recommendations, etc). I am new to robotics, but have some experience with electronics, programming, and building. Currently reading a big pile of books on robotics. Any recommendations on a particular language, controller platform, hardware (etc) best suited for this? Thank you.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

This sounds like a big project... and if you are new to robotics.. this can be an experience that can be insitefull and overwhelming.

I will suggest this.. KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!
You said "Extreme accuracy, power, and speed are not required"
So dont go out trying to kill yourself when you have an ""easy button".

Ex:
You said "First I need to acquire or build the robotic arm"

When I think robotic arm I think something like this...
http://www.robotstore.com/store/product ... 8&catid=11
So that answer would be..
Acquire! Theres no fun in building one for 2 months!! and how much money do you think you can save?!?!?

I would be nice to know more what the robotic arm will do.. so please tell more..

" Any recommendations on a particular language, controller platform, hardware (etc) best suited for this?"

whatever you feel most comfortable with.. Most micros can do this
PIC, MSP, HC08.. pick the one you may have the most experience with.