motion sensor

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
terri

Re: motion sensor

Post by terri »

Try an IR yard light switching system. I bought one of these from Ace Hardware (Ace 3038320) for about $10. It's for 110 V, but you can dismount the sensor head from the light fixtures, and somewhere in the head there's probably a power supply to operate the solid-state circuitry from the 110 V line. <p>I intended to take it apart and run the sensor/relay section after the 110 V power supply off batteries for another application, but haven't got around to it yet. The range is "up to 60 feet," but it has adjustable sensitivity, and it also has an adjustable time-out from 1 sec to forever.<p>I actually tested it as a yard light sensor, and found the range and coverage ("3400 sq ft") was as advertised. It was sensitive to rapid changes in ambient sunlight in the daytime, like tree branches moving in the wind, but at night, it would easily detect things like cats and skunks moving around the yard at about 25 feet.<p>Since it had all the functions I needed, I figured for about $10, it was well worth experimenting with it for my intended use (not as a yard light turner onner and offer), rather than building what I needed from scratch, but I just haven't had a chance to take it apart yet.<p>[ March 02, 1976: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
MARINE2424

motion sensor

Post by MARINE2424 »

Looking to build a good motion sensor for outdoors with about a 25' span. If anyone has got a print and parts list I would Appreciate it.
Thank you Maybe beam sensor like at stores when you walk in the door.<p>[ February 11, 2005: Message edited by: MARINE2424 ]</p>
bwts

Post by bwts »

I think 25' is too far for an optical system like they use on doors but i may be wrong. I would suggest an ultra sonic doppler shift thingamyjig this would have the advantage of not only sensing motion but also telling you how fast the motion is. Do a Google search there are plenty of versions of this type of circuit on the market.
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
MARINE2424

Post by MARINE2424 »

Terri what are you tring to build. I need something to keep cats off my yard got any ideas.
terri

Post by terri »

Portable camera/flash to capture wildife pics. Not far enough along to talk about it... as I said I haven't even got to the point of disassembling the motion detector head yet.<p>Actually, if it's that near the house, you can use the yard light motion detector directly as a 110 V device. These units have rather obvious wires going to the lamp heads and you can tap off those for controlling an ultrasonic blaster or whatever. If you get one and look at it, it will be obvous how to use it to control something other than just the lights that are attached to the sensor head. (Assuming you can wire 110 V stuff without getting yourself electroculatized.)<p>I'm not interested in a cat repelling application --I just want to park a portable motion-detecting camera around in the trees, etc.<p>But try:<p>http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/searc ... eller%2522<p>[ February 14, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
ad5mb

Post by ad5mb »

What, this?<p>http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/S ... oposal.htm<p>Commercial solution, good for 165 feet:<p>http://www.smarthome.com/7460.html<p>Google<p>"Infrared motion detector"<p>"Burglar alarm sensor"<p>My preferred anti-cat ( I have a convertible ): Butch. Half Labrador Retriever, half Chow, half pit bull. One big dog, hates puddy tats.<p>[ February 18, 2005: Message edited by: ad5mb ]</p>