I need some servo information

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
GoodSamaritan

I need some servo information

Post by GoodSamaritan »

Hello!<p>I have a background in industrial controls, and servo drive systems. However I am new to the hobby variety. <p>I am working on a project that requires a signal from a potentiometer to be converted to X number of degrees of rotation. (opening and closing the throttle on a lagre engine from a safe distance) <p>Does anyone have any information on what is available on the market to accomplish this.
Once again this has to be a hardwired system. RC hobby stuff wont be practical. Thank you.
Bryan.
Just another HiTech Hillbilly
rshayes

Re: I need some servo information

Post by rshayes »

The RC servos can be hard wired. Here are a couple of sites describing them and methods of generating the control signals (http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/Tech ... ervos.html) (http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/ ... asics.html).<p>The real problem may be that the torque may not be high enough for your purposes.
unimogster

Post by unimogster »

How much linear movement and ft/lbs is necessary to activate the throttle? I ask because I have two solutions, one pretty much out of the box, and one that is creative but takes more work. You will also want to include a "return to Zero" for the throttle in case of failure of controls if you cannot approach the engine while in operation.
Christopher Wagers
HRE
[email protected]
GoodSamaritan

Post by GoodSamaritan »

I am not sure about the force required to open the throttle, but that is adjustable. I can remove or install a smaller return spring to help lower the requirements a bit.<p>
What are your two solutions? <p>I have also considered using an old cruise control module as a servo, but I am unsure of how they work. I need to go find one to take apart. <p>Bryan
Just another HiTech Hillbilly
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Bryan,
I just saw an article on this. Thought you might find it interesting...
Czech RC mower
Dave