steppers and servo's

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
High4Volts

steppers and servo's

Post by High4Volts »

I'm working on a CNC router and need info on servo's and steppers. I have the CNC robotics book by Geoff Williams, But is there a book on the advantages of each? Disadvantages? Wiring diagrams?
Tommy volts

Re: steppers and servo's

Post by Tommy volts »

High4Volts:<p>How do you like that CNC Robotics book? Ive been thinking about buying it for a buddy of mine but Iv'e never actually seen it except for the cover in the ads.
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

I think it was well worth the price. Although i must admit i got it from Barnes and Noble for a lot less. For someone who knows nothing about building a CNC router i think this would help alot.
Here are the contents by chapter:
1 Design
2 Electronics
3 Making a printed circuit board
4 Driver assembly
5 Software setup adn driver testing
6 The frame
7 The gantry and X-axis
8 The Z and X axes
9 Motor and lead screw installation
10 File creation and KCam
11 Tool holders and testing
12 Examples<p>This book has quite a few pictures.
dhebert

Post by dhebert »

Servo Advantages: Servos can go faster and have better acceleration than steppers.
Servos require a more complex closed loop driver, The Gecko drive G320 looks to be an excellent choice to take care of all this overhead.
A servo can go 2000 to 3000 RPM with good torque at high speed. I have never gotten a stepper to go more that 1000 RPM and the available torque is low at that speed. Usually you go with a larger frame size with more torque and geared to move the load at desired linear speed with 500 RPM.<p>Stepper Advantages: usually cheaper to implement<p>I cannot suggest any books at this time, but web sites for various motor suppliers can have useful information.<p>Best regards
Don Hebert
Long Beach Ca.