Motor rotation?

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
Bern

Motor rotation?

Post by Bern »

I have a motor out of a golf cart. The brushes do not angle straight in at 90-degrees, with the commutator. I do not have it where I can put a load on and run it, but I cannot tell a difference by listening to it running unloaded. Speed, noise, and Amps appear to be the same either direction. What are the pros and cons of running it with the commentator turning into, verses away from the brush?
enc

Re: Motor rotation?

Post by enc »

Do you know what type of brushes are on the commutator? Is it carbon or metal contacts like copper? High powered motor like you have I'm going to assume they are copper contacts. If this is true it will not hurt running in fowards or backwards motions. Best thing to do is to look at the wear pattern on the brushes to see if they are symmetrical or asymmetrical. Symmetrical wear means it is well balanced, and is fine to run in either direction. If it has an asymmetrical wear, it will still run in reverse but problems could happen. But i have cheap unbalanced motors that have asymmetrical wear and run them in all sorts of directions and never had one break on me. Hope this helps and good luck with your project.