co-operating robot using RF for communication

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
bobbob

co-operating robot using RF for communication

Post by bobbob »

i am beginner on constructing robot. i have two robots(which is simple) . now i want my robots to communicate, then i designed to use RF module for sending signal.
is it a good idea?
i am bob
bwts

Re: co-operating robot using RF for communication

Post by bwts »

yes bob it is a good idea. Also think about InfraRed (although there are problem with ambient light its usually god for relatively close ranges).
And try to keep signals simple!!!<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
bobbob

Post by bobbob »

thanks for your help,
in fact, i am now using stamp 2, and want to get the RF module from this company, do i need to build circuit (eg, soldering work) or other difficulties when connecting them?
and my two robot want to send signal to each other, should i get the transcevier instead of transmitter, receiver?
i am bob
bwts

Post by bwts »

I know nothing about stamp 2. But for ur creatures to communicate they both need a transmitter and a reciever (its that what a tranciever is ? sounds like dunna tho)<p>B)
bobbob

Post by bobbob »

the description said if i want bi-directional communication need to get the transceivers, transceiver mean it can receive and transmit
i am bob
bwts

Post by bwts »

The buy the tranceiver units :)
chessman

Post by chessman »

Yes, you want to buy the transciever, part number 27997 for $95.00 US.<p>The connections to the transciever are simple enough: +5V, GND, TXD (transmit data) goes to any output pin of the BS2, and RXD (receive data) goes to any input pin of the BS2.<p>That's it for connections!<p>To send RF data, use the SEROUT command with a baud rate of 600 to 2400, although Parallax recommends 1200.<p>To receive RF data, use the SERIN command.<p>
I'm not that great with programming the BS2, so I'm not sure how you could recognize the need for an RF signal to be received, and I don't remember how the interrupts work, but you should be able to use some sort of interrupt.<p>Good luck, sounds like a great time (after spending $190 for the transceivers...)!<p>~Kyle
bobbob

Post by bobbob »

i have got the transceiver,
but i have some problems on the connection, the manuel said i need to connect the +5VDC to a positive 5V , can i connect it the the Vdd of the board of education (the board of the robot kit), because the manuel said this Vdd provide 5-volt DC, and then i connect GND of the transceiver to the Vss of the board of education which is the system ground .
I would like to use this method to connect the transceiver , am i correct?
i am bob
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

Yes, those connections you have described are the correct ones. 5 volts: VDD. Ground: VSS.<p>[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Harold ]</p>
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
chessman

Post by chessman »

Just make sure the transceiver doesn't use more current than the Board of Education can supply, but I think you'll be fine, since Parallax talks about using the transceiver with the BoE in their manual. (Phew!!! what a mouthful...)