Autonomous Robot Sensors

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
Audacity

Autonomous Robot Sensors

Post by Audacity »

I'm working on a robot that needs to be able to detect objects in it's path, long before they get close. When i say objects i mean like boulders... what's the best system of detection? (robot speed approximatly 65 miles per hour) :confused:
"What off button?!?!?!?!"
Pittpablo

Re: Autonomous Robot Sensors

Post by Pittpablo »

wow, that sounds like quite a project. i would suggest, since you had to ask this question in the first place, that you start with something on a smaller scale and a little less dangerous.<p>i imagine radar or laser scanning would be appropriate but for $$$ and maybe difficult for a beginner.<p>good luck.
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

You can provide rudimentary vision with light sensors if you are digital and can do arithmetic.
Jameco has some light sensitive transisters with bult in lenses. These you can use to make as many eye spots as you can afford.
You will need to digitize each sensor. You will need at least 4 sensors to see things in a field.
Name the sensors ll, lr, rl and rr
The arithmetic you will need is:
sl = ll if ll-lr = 0 else 0 ; object left
sr = rl if rl-rr = 0 else 0 ; object right<p> Dir = sl - sr ; Direction of light<p> Dir then runs your steering.<p> The distance the sensor are apart determine the dynamics of the system. The distance of ll and lr from each other determines the size of object detected.
This is not easy. Do not test at 65 mph.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
natcsparky

Post by natcsparky »

Also, Carnegie Mellon have done extensive research into vision based object avoidance. They now sell their knowledge in silicon, I just don't know where right now. If I Find it I will post again. Search for Carnegie Mellon Navigation or something of that nature....
Rick Capps
Special Projects
Nevada Automotive Test Center
rionredinger

Post by rionredinger »

try the Robot Builder's Bonanza or Robot Builder's Sourcebook both are by Gordon McComb. I myself have found them very useful.