Heavey Iorn Milling Machine

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
verlwb

Heavey Iorn Milling Machine

Post by verlwb »

I'd like to chat with all the guy's that are building the Heavey Iron machine.
brettn

Re: Heavey Iorn Milling Machine

Post by brettn »

I'm starting to build the heavy iron cnc mill. I've got the milling tables & the servo motors. At the end of the month I will have access to a metal shop & I'll start making the frame.<p>Brett
mi

Post by mi »

hello,
I'm trying to build a milling machine conversion too. I was wondering which software you found most useful or affordable.
any other suggestions would be appreciated.
good luck on your project.
-hink
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

I would guess that upscaling a sherline cnc kit to drive big steppers with brakes would have the documentation, software support and others that custom build mods but I have'nt personally done that. Later there should be some linux ware available no doubt sherline ready. There are alot of cnc s out there but do you want to develope or put your cnc to work.
verlwb

Post by verlwb »

Update: I'm getting emails from my above post.
That is good! However, my experince tells me there are more of you out there in the "tall grass" (old CB term for hidding).
In the computer club I belong to, we incurage the
members to get "online" as it "helps all the members." We learn from each other. So....
come on now and post to the FORUM!!!<p>I would guess_ that there are about 50 of you guys who have started an Heavey Iron Milling machine and they are probably in any range from
half completed to almost complete. <p>One fellow told me that he is having to guess at what to do next. You to ?? <p>Let get together!! POST your questions here!!! ;)
bwts

Post by bwts »

Where can I get the design for the milling mahine from?<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
rblanch

Post by rblanch »

I have the metal, electronics and Steppers. What I need is the instructions to continue the project from where the article left off. I am proceeding, doing it my way. The danger is that I have not expierence and may make some serious mistakes. One of the toughest problems may be how to attach the stepper motors to the x-y tables. Also software will eventually be an issue.
Where did Robert Mansel go anyway?
chessman

Post by chessman »

I would think that software would be a problem before you try to figure out the controller board for the steppers. At least, that's the knowledge I have....
rblanch

Post by rblanch »

In general, you are correct. Choose the software and then the controller.
In this case I have seen enough software to know that it exists for parallel port controllers. The problem will be choosing good software and getting it up and running.
verlwb

Post by verlwb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mr Bwtz:
Where can I get the design for the milling mahine from?<p>B)<hr></blockquote><p>Mr. Bwtz,<p>The Heavey Iorn project started I Fed. 2001,
here in Nuts& Volts:
http://www.nutsvolts.com/toc_Pages/feb01toc.htm<p>AMATEUR ROBOTICS NOTEBOOK - Robert Nansel
Heavy Iron, The Call of the Wild, Robots in the Weeds, Meet Tryclops, and the cry of a baby ...<p>Click on [ CONTENT ] button to the left Find 2001
and gotto Feb.<p>
For a picture of the "basic Machine" See Jan. 2002.
http://www.nutsvolts.com/toc_Pages/jan02toc.htm<p>
have fun,
Verl<p>[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: Verl W. Burkart ]</p>
bwts

Post by bwts »

Thx Verl is there no on line documentation?<p>B)
verlwb

Post by verlwb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mr Bwtz:
Thx Verl is there no on line documentation?<p>B)<hr></blockquote><p>no you will have to get back issues for $5.00
a pop.<p>But your question has me doing some surffing.
this site has good info on retrofitting milling machines. http://www.mendonet.com/cnclinks/overview.htm<p>http://www.bmumford.com/cncmil l/index.html <p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Verl W. Burkart ]<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Verl W. Burkart ]<p>[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Verl W. Burkart ]</p>
bwts

Post by bwts »

Thanks again Verl :) <p>B)