RVK Basic in Win 2000

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
mspe

RVK Basic in Win 2000

Post by mspe »

I am new to this group and am attempting to do something useful with an ATMEL 2313. I have downloaded RVK Basic, unzipped it and tried to run it on a Windows 2000 Pro system. There appears to be no way to do this! I can get a DOS like command prompt by running "Command" but Windows refuses to allow a CHDIR or CD to the directory where the program resides.
I could copy to another directory, but I was interested in this intriguing (gasp..) problem in Win2K.<p>Anyone else faced this one?
Thanks,<p>Martin
Chris Smith

Re: RVK Basic in Win 2000

Post by Chris Smith »

No I havent faced that problem, But 2000 sucks in many ways! Try finding the old "File Manager" in the Windows directory at the end, past the programs and directories, using the Win Explorer. [or other] Create a usable Icon, sent to the desktop, etc, and using this File Manager which is a Win 3x function, IT MAY allow you to manipulate earlier programs with out all of the fuss. ITS either that, or GOTO DOS? File manager looks like a two story/drawer filing cabinet as a Icon, and should be near the Win386.swp file.
dribb

Re: RVK Basic in Win 2000

Post by dribb »

When you use "command" in Win2k you get an earlier version of DOS that doesn't support long file names. You can't even quote the path to get it to work. You must use short filenames. So instead for CD "Program Files" you must use CD PROGRA~1.<p>Try using "cmd" instead of "command". This gives you the "native" win2K prompt which is a little more powerful.<p>Also, the "Command Prompt Here" right-click context menu enhancement is absolutly necessary for those of us that shell out to the command prompt all the time. Simply right click a directory in Windows Explorer, click "Command Prompt Here" and it opens a command window in the selected directory. It's part of the free MS PoweToys collection. http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/ ... Prompt.asp