swarm robtics

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
prisoner98002

swarm robtics

Post by prisoner98002 »

Does any body know about swarm robotics? I have been looking at these for some time. The thing is there is not that much info on this new teck. I would like to find out the programing on these to see if they will work for flying machines. Like helicopters and small airplanes.

This is the best info I was able to find.
http://www.swarmrobotic.com/Robot.htm#sensor
Pius

Re: swarm robtics

Post by Pius »

When it comes to any type of robotics, knowledge is the key ingredient. You will find that as you progress in this exciting endeavour that realizing your lack of knowledge is the first step to true learning. Swarm robotics is not just one robot but a whole bunch. Now I build singular robots but the swarm robots that I have seen are quite small. Being small means that either they are controlled via a communications link or have independent programming via embedded chips. Several sites on Google and You-tube will show what they are all about. I find the concept like most of robotics fascinating and hope to dabble myself, when I know more.

What ever you do do not be discouraged if it is a bit tricky at first I know you will get the answers you seek.
prisoner98002

Post by prisoner98002 »

Ya, the more i learn about this teck, the more i find out i dont know about them. But i do try and keep up the learning.
Pius

Post by Pius »

You know I have been building robots for years. I have built several BEAM type robots and some other robots that respond to light. I have found all aspects of it fascinating. I am presently working on upgrading a circuit in order to incorporate it into my latest creation. It is often slow and detailed work. However the effort is worth the result.

Maybe you should try to build a single robot. My robots are usually made from parts I have gotten from thrown out computers. One mans junk is certainly another man gold!!
prisoner98002

Post by prisoner98002 »

Have you ever experimented with out of the ordinary power sources? Like say a Tesla coil or a Edison battery to power your robots and if so what have you used for them?
Pius

Post by Pius »

Life gets to busy ,but one of my joys is receiving my Servo magazine. I have subscribed from the very first one. It is exciting to get a magazine dedicated to Robots!!!!

As I was checking my account status I decided to poke around the forums. I will have to do it on a more regular basis from now on. This long introduction is my way of saying I am so sorry for not responding quicker to your very good question. Powering your robot is one of the most important aspects of your work. Many times I think a circuit or a motor is not operational until I notice that the line going to the power is not plugged in.
You will require two sources of power for robotics. The first is in the stage which you usually takes a long time. It is in the building and testing stage. Here I usually have a power supply that is plugged into the wall. I have studied and built my own, however years ago I built Heath kit experimenters and I use them as my reliable supplies.
The second source of power when it come to robots is batteries. Now I believe that your creation should be as autonomous as possible. As such we should not limit its mobility by having a long wire attached to the wall. Here I use gell batteries that have two important characteristics. The first is that it has a sufficient amp/hr rating and it is rechargeable. The second aspect is important since eventually it will run out of juice and have to be fed. Getting your creation to do this on its own is another story. The first aspect is the power rating. Those AA and D batteries you see everywhere are great for their uses but are not recommended for robotics. The rating simply indicates how many amperes it provides for so many hours. The higher the rating the more power. However you will find that most power comes from rather large and VERY heavy batteries. Years ago I built the frame and electronics and hundreds of wires going every where and 70 % of the weight of the robot was the battery.
Test and use reliable technology and you will no doubt be successful. Good luck and please let me know what happens!!
Externet

Re: swarm robotics

Post by Externet »

Here they are; happy drooling :

-----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCFtmdrvHM

Miguel.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -