need help and guidance on motor and control for a project

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
directcurrent1

need help and guidance on motor and control for a project

Post by directcurrent1 »

Hay folks, I need help. I need to learn to buid and work with robotic motors and motor controls, I not completely in the dark, I use to be a field service tech on CNC welding Equipment the size of football fields, put the workschedule did not allow for learn much about the deep how it works thingy.
:smile: Now that I am disable and have time and a good shop tp do it, I want to get into the real world of things.
:idea: Here ruffy what I want to do for my first act of insanity.
------- I have two parallel guide bars in which a device will slide back and forth on.
-------On one end of the two guide bars, they are connected together by a pic of metal with a stop sence switch so if the device come to the end, if it get to the end, will stop and motor control will return it to the other end.
-------on other end I need a motor that pulls a drive with a tape ruler metal band push/pulling the device back and forth along the guide bars.
-------But it also needs to know where the device at all times to positions the device.
My thought here it works simular to a printer moving the head to the correct position to print and where to print or a CNC type of control, but this device does something different
------ I need to learn how to build the motor and drive control to do the work I want above.

If I knew how to draw a ruffy draft of this thing I would put it on the thread, but I do not know how to do it in this forum.

Can you folks give me some good direction here. Please Please pretty Please ???? DC
russlk

Re: need help and guidance on motor and control for a projec

Post by russlk »

What you want to do is exactly like a printer. You can use a DC motor with a segmented disc (counting wheel) and sensor to know how far the thing has moved, or you can use a stepping motor and count the number of steps. You will need to be able to program a microcontroller which will handle the counting and the switch at the end of travel.

Russlk
directcurrent1

Re: need help and guidance on motor and control for a projec

Post by directcurrent1 »

Russ, Ua do you have any sugestionon the mirco computer to use. I have never tried to program one put i have seen alot of one off on how to use a compter to a Usb port too plug one up amd program it Via My computer ?
I wan to use 12 vdc for my Power source. Any suggestio where to get the stepper moter???