Building a PIC controlled RC race car

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
kenjones1935

Building a PIC controlled RC race car

Post by kenjones1935 »

I am trying to hook middle school students into STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). I have added a 16F887 and three sonar proximity sensors to a HPI Touring Sprint hobby level car. The PIC toggles between radio control and autonomous control by noting the state of the incoming radio signal on channel 3.

My hook is competition that includes speed. My first design has been a car that can follow a left turning maze by itself, but requires the student with the radio transmitter to get it from the exit of the maze back to the entrance. The competition is against time for some number of laps. In a basketball court sized gymnasium this can be quite exciting. These cars are FAST.

I would appreciate your suggestions on other kinds of competitions for these cars. Tag? "Johnny come over"? Hide and seek? What different sensors and emitters might we use? (For example the car that is "IT" in a game of tag would need something which identifies it to the other cars.) Speed is not the only specialty of RC hobby level. They have devices with fantastic suspension systems for climbing over rocks and things.

Here's a video that sort of gives you the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDUWyGh8eIo

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
ibm123

Re: Building a PIC controlled RC race car

Post by ibm123 »

Hello, nice project you have there. i saw your video and it was very nice.

i'm actually working on a similar project , only different "mission"

i would like to share my ideas with you and exchange information because i'm lagging behind on my development and dont have anything working right now :)

you can contact me on skype or gmail

rorlich @ gmail.com