Does anyone remeber this article

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
martinbake

Does anyone remeber this article

Post by martinbake »

A long time ago, back whent he magazine was tabloid sized, i remember an article on building apower usage monitor, that I believe recorded wattage and usage for whatever was plugged into it. I long ago disposed of my older collection, which dated back to 1995 or so if i remeber correctly..
I really would like to build a device for monitoring and recording the power usage per appliance and also per panel circuit.

Any idea how to obtain this article or something like it?

Thanks.
Martin
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i liked N&V when it was tabloid sized,and the pages wern't shinny
why are all magazines all shinny papered..makes them hard to read in almost any light.

anyway, i have some of them left, i'll look thru my junk boxes, i might have it still, not sure.

do you know of a item called KILL-A-WATT ?
its exactly what your looking for and more. cost about 30.00 .
i got mine at a local Harbor Freight tool store, i think northern tools has it also, then theres always E-bay.

good luck
martinbake

Thanks for the response

Post by martinbake »

I have seen the kill-a-watt, but what I am looking for is something that will retain its data when unplugged using a back-up battery or something similar. I think the one in the magazine was aprimitive data-logger as well.

If you do find the article, please let me know. Man i wish I had the room to have kept mine. I kept two issues, one with a great power supply in it and one with a stepper controller in it. I have built both projects numerous times.

Thanks again,

Martin
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

yeah right,,thats one thing i hated about the kill-a-watt...no memory retention after you unplugg it.. i even opened one up to see if i was able to make a battery back up for it,,but it was too complicated for me to mess with that deep.

tip..with old magazines, i cut out the good stuff and put it in a foto album with the clear pockets , the rest is then gone and cuts down on a lot of clutter..
i'll look thru my piles this weekend.. but you think it was from 1995 ?

ok, ttyl
martinbake

watt meter project

Post by martinbake »

I think it was later than that, probably around 98-2000. Thanks so much.
I used to do the same thing, but I also have complete sets of Fine Woodworking, a lot of Elektor and EPe, and I just got rid of almost ten years of popular electronics.. I have Servo, nuts and volts and Circuit cellar now, going back to 2004? I think? still takes up so much room!

regards,

Martin
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Greetings Dacflyer,
dacflyer wrote:tip..with old magazines, i cut out the good stuff and put it in a foto album with the clear pockets , the rest is then gone and cuts down on a lot of clutter..
I use a flatbed scanner to image the paper
ephemera and save it to disk. Makes storage
and searching much easier.

Comments Welcome!
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Bigglez wrote:Greetings Dacflyer,
dacflyer wrote:tip..with old magazines, i cut out the good stuff and put it in a foto album with the clear pockets , the rest is then gone and cuts down on a lot of clutter..
I use a flatbed scanner to image the paper
ephemera and save it to disk. Makes storage
and searching much easier.

Comments Welcome!
I thought I was the only one who was scanning in the back issues and putting them on CD's.:)

Well I've got from 1999 to 2007 on CD's.
99-to-04 are in JPEG format, I bought 05-07 CD's which are PDF.
{And before some asks why I didn't also buy the 04 from NV.}
{Because I was already had half done scanning in 04, when NV brought out their CD.}

martinbake,
My memory is a bit fuzzy.
But I think the article was in the 2006 issues.
I don't know if NV still has been keeping it's articles that far back on the website still.
But you might want to give it a look.

Speaking of magazines......
I'm still missing the Sept 1996 issue of NV!

Signed:Janitor Tzap
Lenp

Article found!

Post by Lenp »

Martin,
'Build a Digital Watt and Hour Meter by Dan Harrison, was in the August 1999 issue (Vol20 No8).
It used a 68HC705P6 processor as its core. and the program is listed in the article.
I can send the article to you for the cost of copying and postage.

Hope this helps!

GENERAL NOTE TO ALL:
I have a nearly complete set of N&V from March 1994 to present, and am willing to provide article copies if requested, provided the editors don't complain :???:

Len
martinbake

Watts showing from the August 199 Issue

Post by martinbake »

Thanks so much! I had actually figured out the issue, but oculdn't get a copy. Tell me what he cost is and i can send you a Postal Money order or Pay-Pal you the amount. Also since you say you have the complete set, if you check the following two issues for corrections and comments, i 'll pay to get those too. Thanks so much for being the paskrat i wish I could get away with being! I keep telling my wife that sooner or later, every article will be of value. I lose all those arguments. Maybe its because i have over a thousand books....

Best regards and thanks again,

Martin
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Martin,
Glad to be of help. I will check some of the following issues for follow up then let you know the costs.

Here's my tactic for keeping everything.
Put it in a box, seal it, put a label on it with the date then put it on a shelf. If you haven't opened it in a year, change the date and hide it someplace else! :grin:

Len
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Martin,

A PM with the cost was sent today!

Len
martinbake

Thanks

Post by martinbake »

I will look for the message, although I may not need the reprint, I may be able tog etit from someone here, another Ham, if he has it still. funny how that works, I was telling him about the great response I got on the forums, and he said" I think I may have that" If he doesn;t I will still need your help. I will let you know when I get your message.

Thanks again,

Martin
martinbake

reprint

Post by martinbake »

Dear Len,
I may have misread your message. If you have already sent the reprint, I will of course pay for it, I just realized that PM could mean postal mail.

Sorry for any confusion and thanks again.
Martin
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Martin,

Check for new mail on THIS SITE!

Look at the links at the top of the screen for the message link...

Len