Resitive Heating Mat

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Joseph

Resitive Heating Mat

Post by Joseph »

My first idea to be able to have a custom size heating pad is mylar sheeting. The problem would be getting the electrical current into the metal film.

The film has just about the perfect resistance for moderate voltage application. It is almost perfectly dispersed across the sheet, too.
jwax

Post by jwax »

" perfect resistance "? Sheet resistance is specified in ohms per square.
What exactly is your sheet resistance?
Plus. most metallized mylar is coated with an extremely thin metal. It's not capable of handling much current.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I have a 2 inch wide roll of polyester coated with a layer of metal. It appears to have been for making capacitors. It is not coated with a very consistent layer, and has a resistance of about 10 ohms per foot.

The mylar sheets I've seen have a much more consistent-looking coating, sealed between two polyester layers, though. I have not determined a way to reliably access the metal layer. Thus my post here.

The actual amount of current is not very important. The key is the power dissipation per unit of area, which may be as high as 1w/in^2 when in contact with air. (Pressed against a heat sink, it could be one (or two) order(s) of magnitude higher.
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

perhaps you could remove the plastic layer of one side on a small patch with acetone or some other chemical, and then use conductive epoxy to glue your contact to the metal film. Please let us know if you find a way. Thanks, Zotdoc.
jwax

Post by jwax »

That would work, zotdoc, but I think Joseph will find he's not able to get enough current through that film to generate much heat.
His 10 ohms/foot is likely due to about 1,000 Angstroms of aluminum. That won't handle enough current to heat much of anything.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I remember the old CD platers which had some spikes which penetrated into a ribbon connector. Spikes are the only way I though of which I would think could make reliable contact. They would have to penetrate the film and some type of backing material.

How thick is the metal on a film resistor? As small as they are, they have ratings into the watt range.