New to Robotics

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
Mike

New to Robotics

Post by Mike »

I have never made a robot before and would like to start. I have no idea as to where to start. I have a robot built with from metal and has 4 wheels. Each of the wheels has it's own motor. After here, I don't know what to do. Can anybody help me out? <p>Thanks, Mike
bwts

Re: New to Robotics

Post by bwts »

Hello M<p>First of all the Electroic side:
How do U want the robot to behave?
Do U want it to go in a straihgt line?
Turn corners?
Go backwards? etc.,.,.,.,.,.
These considerations will determine what sort of control circuitry (tink brain power) U will need to control Ur motors (tink muscles).<p>Secondly the Power factor:
How much power is needed to run the motors?
How much for the circuitry?
Where is the power comming from (rechagable battery, solar panel, mains, lemons, etc.,.)?<p>Finaly the Mechanics:
How is the power from the motors delivered 2 the wheels?
How does it turn corners? . . . . + so on . . .<p>Is this any help???<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

B is correct.
A robot is sensors, brain and motors. Data flow is from environment to sensors, from sensors to brain, from brain to motors, and motors work on the environment. The robot body holds all these together. To make a robot, you need to know something about sensors and motors.<p>Brain is the list of motor functions.
Motor = f(sensors)
Think of each motor as the output of a function.
The inputs to the function are sensors or constants.<p>The only way you can get into this is to start.
It is not easy, but it has rewards.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
Mike

Post by Mike »

I would like to be able to control the robot from an infrared remote control. I am sort of designing a small battle bot as a school project. It will have 5 motors, 4 directly connected to the 4 wheels, and 1 to spin a saw blade. The remote control will have foreword, backward, left, right, and on button for the blade. The motors are 3V DC each. I don't know if this is possible, but I would like to keep the cost down and keep it simple. Sorry for not providing the full details before.<p>Thanks Guys, Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh, and battery is a 9V NiCd rechargeable. If that won't work, I also have a 6V lantern battery.
bwts

Post by bwts »

U can buy remote control modules for just this thing, but I cant remember the name of them. If ur bot (really a remote control car!) is small enuff 3VDC should B enuff.<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah