adding driving lights to motorcycle...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ModRob

adding driving lights to motorcycle...

Post by ModRob »

Ok, so here's one that should be a lot easier...haha<p>I am adding two driving lights to my motorcycle's one headlight. Instead of buying the high dollar dealer setup, I got by with a low priced bar and separate lights. Now I just have to figure out how to wire them in without destroying anything.<p>The fuse block has one 15A blade fuse for the blinkers, stop and taillights, horn, etc.<p>Next is a 10A for the ignition.
Then a 10A for the headlight.<p>There are two or three blank positions (10A) also, and I was going to run a wire with 10A fuse from one of those directly to the aux. lights. This does work, and works with the key switch.<p>Note that these are really sealed beam lights--not actual driving lights. About 4 and-a-half inches in size. If they were wired directly like I mentioned, would they be too bright for traffic at night?<p>I had next wondered if I could just tap into the three wires that go into the headlight itself. But upon experimenting, I find that the top blade of the plug lights the lights on low beam position only--goes out when bright switch is utilized. One of the other blades does the same action only in reverse.<p>Ok guys, this should be an easy one. Tell me your thoughts...<p>Thanks,
Tim
ModRob

Re: adding driving lights to motorcycle...

Post by ModRob »

Oh, and one more thing...those extra 10A spaces in the fuseblock have only one metal contact in each one. I did slip a spade lug in there and got power off of it...
Wonder why there is no metal contact on the other side of each slot?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

they probably use that fuzeblock on sever kinds of bikes and only used what was needed for your bike...
basically if you want to..tap off the battery..just make sure you use a fuze :p
or tap off of an accessorie..again,, make sure you use the right fuze... :p
ModRob

Post by ModRob »

Got It! I ended up running a fused line from the fuse block, with a 10amp fuse. It's working just fine...
jwax

Post by jwax »

Don't know about the Tennesee DMV, but you'd be stopped by a lawman in New York state for badly aligned lights. We have state-approved inspection stations, and they check headlight alignment! Check with a local bike shop.
WA2RBA
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Whats your actual alternator max output?<p> Having 10 amp fuses, dosent mean you have ten amps output at the alternator? <p>It means the battery is fused at 10 amps for wiring safty. <p>Running too many amps for extended periods if your alternator dosent have a high out put will drain the battery first, and the alternator will try to take over, and fail in its duty.
ModRob

Post by ModRob »

Thanks for the info guys. I'll do some more checking into it.
As far as aiming, I think these sealed beam lights are pretty-well right on the mark. If anything, one is a bit low, but nothing to blind oncoming drivers. All I wanted was to increase visibility to try and protect my butt a little more..haha...<p>Sometimes I don't think hard enough on some aspects, and I'll have to do some more checking into the draw on the battery.<p>Thanks again for the tips.