Ionic Breeze

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Ionic Breeze

Post by haklesup »

I've been watching the ad for the "Ionic Breeze" air cleaner and wondering if I could build one using an old negative ion generator PCB I have. My questions are :
1. what is the configuration of the positive and negative electrodes?
2. How much HV is needed? Is it a function of the area of the electrodes?
3. Is the application of the HV continuous or pulsed (pos and neg together or alternating)<p>Anybody know any technical web resources (search engines are choked with retail)
Externet

Re: Ionic Breeze

Post by Externet »

Hi.
For your questions about the ion air cleaner, they may work, but all its sorroundings get dirt precipitation; I bought one, plugged onto the wall outlet, and the wall got blackened with deposits.<p>Well, the dirt has to go somewhere... It's like a cathode ray tube anode, sorrounded with the black soot.<p>I do not know if it is negative or positive, but there is only ONE set of pointy needles all the same continuous polarity, and my guess it is over 10KV.
I will look for some data and will post; meanwhile, the technical web resources you are looking for, give me some examples to direct you properly.<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Negative<p>10kv or higher, [up till arcing/corona voltage]<p>DC only, ac will shake loose the soot same as pulsating voltage.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
I found the information on the one I tried. It's (-)7.5KV out, 120VAC in, a couple of inches size, $6, part number T7014 at www.goldmine-elec.com<p>For resources, do you like
www.ac6v.com and http://www.epanorama.net/ ?<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
HomeBrew

Post by HomeBrew »

I see that one on the tube myself. It seems VERY expensive for an ion generator. I just wonder how much ozone it will produce. In a small area, it could be a little toxic. A few years ago i played with one (homemade) similar to that and along with a pretty good air flow ,i generated quite a bit of ozone.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Wall soiling is typical of continuous duty negative ion generators, the wall is more positive than the ions thus the attraction). The one on TV claims to have a positive collection grid along with the neg ion generator. I have read that this will keep the walls clean until the collection plate gets too dirty. They may also incorporate an electric field sensor to shut it off when it is inefficient (dirty) but of that I am not sure.<p>For tech references I meant (specifically)any link that helps answer the questions but generically any link that gives additional information beyond the ads.<p>Anywhere from 5kV to 50kV I have seen. I believe electrode configuration does count. (the lower voltage systems have needle emitters because the E field is maximized at the point) I have not looked into a higher V system yet.<p>For question 3 I was thinking the negative electrode would make ions (and ozone) then turn off then the pos plate would turn on and collect them (alternating but not AC) but they may both run continuously as well. I think I will just have to experiment a little with it.<p>Just thought I could get similar performance for less than the $350 tag price. I need to look at one up close and peek inside)
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Ionic Breeze is a bit more clever about how it cleans the air. It uses oppositely charged plates to attract the dust as it passes through the device. Every so often you pull out several long rods called "collection blades" and wipe the dust off with a cloth. Very expensive for what you actually get.<p>There are a couple of versions of this device. One includes a UV light for killing germs.<p>I would avoid trying to build one as you could end up creating an OZONE PUMP. Read online reviews of people that have used these things as it causes some people to get headaches.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!