Radio Shack getting out of parts supply

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Timothy Rasch

Radio Shack getting out of parts supply

Post by Timothy Rasch »

Hi, the Radio Shack at Bay Park Mall in Green Bay Wisconsin, is sending most of their small parts back to Radio Shack warehouse,transformers included.I also don't see any power inverters anymore and maybe soldering equipment and test equipment will dissapear too. The manager tells Me it's some experiment of Radio Shack . Does anybody know more information about this secret?
I don't know what the whole Country;the experimenters will do when this no parts situation spreads around. What can We do to control this problem? I am a Electronic Technician by trade and I do develop circuits at home and constantly need discreat parts.
Tim Rasch [email protected]
philba

Re: Radio Shack getting out of parts supply

Post by philba »

I do most of my parts shopping by mailorder. Generally, I stock up on parts that way. Seldom do I set foot in a radio shack - the cell phone sales pitch barage is too much to bear :roll: Their selection is pretty pathetic, anyway. I don't see it as much of a loss.<p>There are several places around here that are much better than rs.
jwax

Post by jwax »

They closed the over-the-counter electronic parts stores in most areas, replacing them with know-little sales people pushing their other imported wares. Let them close too. Good riddance.
WA2RBA
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

I remember Radio Shack having a really unique store about 25-30 years ago when they catered to the hobbyist and audiophiles with great kits and components, etc. But back then there were also Lafayette Electronics, Allied Radio with their Knight Kits, and Olson Electronics. Radio Shack's marketing people are clueless now and if they think they can survive selling phones all I can say is "good luck and so long".<p>Anyway, now you can get stuff in a couple days from Mouser and Digikey and they have more components than the Shack ever had. However, if the Shack did it right, they could still be "the neighborhood electronics store" if they did a little homework.
"Who is John Galt?"
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Radio Shack doesn't WANT to be the "neighborhood electronics store". There's no margin on the piece parts and employees get zero commission for them. The big commission is on the stereos, telephones, computers and other turn-key stuff, so what do you think they're going to push? A RS store in a mall can't afford to sell the little stuff.<p>When they went to this new "modularized" parts system vs. the baggies on the hooks, I started getting suspicious. I asked the clerk if RS was starting to spill off their parts and he assured me that they weren't and that in fact, they were getting MORE in. "MORE" meant that this little low-overhead store was getting the parts from the mall stores and when they all ran out, they were out and piece-parts would be no more.<p>I find the salespeople at Hancock Fabrics to have more electronics knowledge than those at Radio Shack. I quit asking for their help a long time ago when I asked for a thermistor and of the four employees in the store, none of them knew what a thermistor was. Oh, one made an attempt, telling me that I had to go to the local HVAC place to get one, obviously thinking "thermostat".<p>I don't normally poo-poo companies like this, but the local store refused to supply $50 in parts to help us set up a district electronics contest. That's pretty cheap, I think.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

This may not speak directly to the question, but here, the RS stores acknowledge there are two types that basically are differentiated by whether they are inside a mall or "curb side" as in a strip shopping center. The latter carry parts, but not consistently.<p>[ October 17, 2005: Message edited by: jimandy ]</p>
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

There are three types of radio shacks here in my area. The mall type have few electronics components and cater mostly to cell phone buyers and electronic toys, however they are the only ones in my area carying the VEX robot kit.<p>The other two types are "small" and "large-ish," and both carry a good supply of electronics parts, however the small ones don't have much outside of that ~30 drawer cabinet.<p>I was a little put off when I saw that cabinet, but once I started poking through it, I realized they have a really big variety of parts crammed in there.<p>Dean, regarding the margin on parts, I don't know... They have a two pack of 2n4401's for $1.99... that seems like a hefty margin to me.<p>Dr_when, you're right, but I lament the loss of radio shack as a parts source. It costs $5 per order for orders under $25 at Digi, and then shipping.<p>Fortunately, there are four radio shacks close to me (w/in 12 min drive) and I know two of them are big enough to stock all the regular parts, so if it's 7:00pm and I need an adjustable voltage regulator I can get one. For now. <p>There is an engineering college not far from here (Iowa State University) so a lot of EE hopefuls staff the radio shacks which means they at least know which direction to point when you ask for stuff. (They're more helpful when ask about the remote controlled cars though)
philba

Post by philba »

I think you've got to sell a LOT of 1.99 packages to equal the profit from one cell phone sale. Yeah the mark-up is great but the volume is relatively low.<p>On the $25 minimum thing. Some distis have no minimum - mouser, for example. I keep a running list of things I am getting low on and when I place an order with a disti, I'll add those to it. Given that the parts are often significantly cheaper than RS, it doesn't take much to make up for the lowest cost shipping option. Especially if you are willing to buy 25 or more (from mouser 25 2N4401s for $1.25, 100 for $4!) for example - then you have a nice supply to work from. <p>If you only order a small number of light items (< 1 lb), you can opt for first class shipping and its typically $3-4 and 2-3 days.<p>So, even though I have bought from RS, I truely don't lament their getting out of components. <p>Phil
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

TIM
7 years ago, I "discovered" Radio Shacks mail order catolog for small parts.I was elated to find that I could still get parts from RS thinking that they were the lowest priced. 4 years ago, they discontiued catalog sales and I was dismayed. Dismayed that is until I started shopping at Mouser And Digikey. After reviewing their prices, I could not beleive how RS had been ripping me off all those years and I am still bitter about it.Even with the cost of shipping,my costs are still much lower through these two distributors. Many items selling for 1/10 the cost. Not only do you have a much better selection, but you can down load their data sheets on any part (almost as good as being in their store). Also the stuff is brand name and is delivered so fast, I barely have time to put the finishing touches on my design schematic before they are sitting on my doorstep. I wouldn't shop again at RS if there was one on every corner and they were begging me to come in! ONE EXEPTION--They still carrie those nice little circuit boards that accept DIP sockets.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

It's not their margin, I think RS has the largest markup on parts I have ever seen. I believe it is the dwindling demand for parts. Both because of the internet and becuase things are not as repairable as they used to me. <p>This is really not much different than all the electronics hobby magazines shutting down.<p>I usually go to RS just for audio connectors as it seems I always need one at the last minute to finish something. Can't remember last time I bought an active or passive component there. They are also good for antenna parts. The mall stores are the worst for parts stock. I had 3 near my house but now only 2 remain and one is in a mall.<p>This experiment might be corporate or a local franchise idea. The differentiation within markets is nothing new.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

SHopping for electronic parts is like buying groceries at Seven Eleven. They are not ripping you off any more than does the Seven Eleven. RS is a convenience store for parts.<p>I stock a lot of parts. I have a 20 foot shelf, three tiers high of those littel 60 drawer part buns. And other storage elsewhere for larger stuff like speakers and transformers. All this to service pro audio. I have thousands of dollars tied up in parts here. Not all repairs even need parts. My investment into these parts helps lubricate my labor income. If I stocked nothing, then every repair that needed something would have to sit and wait for parts orders to come it, plus the shipping and minimums fees would eat me up.<p>But I don't thknk of hte parts as serious money makers. I may only pay 4 cents for that small signal transistor, but I do charge a buck or two for it when I sell it. But Even at that mighty markup, I am not getting rich on parts.<p>Same deal for RS. SO what if it is a 300% markup, when they still only made 50 cents on the sale. They are a convenience store.<p>I could buy a few resistors for $1.29 or whatever they charge, or I can buy a pack of 100 resistors at a bunch of places for the same amount. I can buy a transistor for a buck or 100 of them for $4. I stock up. But now and then I am out of something. I can run over to RS at 8PM on a friday and find a fuse to get something up and running.<p>Every time DJ brings me his SL1200 turntable in for new cords, I run to RS for one of their mid level patch cords - gold plated even - to do the job.<p>That is convenience. I pay more for it. Just like the 50 cent can of corn in the grocery store costs $1.50 in the Seven Eleven. They don't sell many cans of corn, and the shelf space is limited and that space costs them money. So they have to charge accordingly. But when the grocer is closed or too far away and your corn salsa is lacking corn and the guests are about to arrive... You pay the inflated amount. Just like Radio Shack.<p>The parts sales at the RS stores is a small part of their sales, but it takes up an inordinate amount of space there. I am surprised they didn't drop it earlier. They are losing out by keeping small parts there on sale.<p>Cell phones, computers, consumer goods, electronic toys and gadgets for gift giving. That is where the money is. Stores have to look at what they sell and determine what is selling and what is not. If it means changing, that is business. Look at Pier One. Used to be a warehouse of a place that sold all kinds of cheap imported junk. COllege kids decorate their dorm rooms from there. Now Pier One has seen the light. They ditched a lot of the cheap crap and are now trying to become more a sort of Pottery Barn of a place selling more up scale stuff at higher prices. Same with RS.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello,<p>The Radio Shack stores around here have been
changing quite a bit too, both with the parts
carried and also with disappearing overnight.
We had one about 1.1 miles from here for years,
then it closed up one day. A month later, another
appeared 2 miles away on a main highway, then
closed up about 6 months later. That was about
6 months ago. Now, there's a new one opening
up right here in town about 1 mile away and
it looks rather smallish. They have the sign
up already but they didnt open yet so i'll have
to wait to see what they are going to carry.<p>In the past i've used RS mainly when i need something
quickly, like when im working on something and
suddenly realize i need a nine-and-a-half pin
connector :) Run down to RS and pick one up,
but of course that's a big 'maybe' anyway as
their ability to replenish stock wasnt that good
anyway. If they had it you're in luck, if not
it's the higher priced E store around here, and
if they didnt have it it meant at least a week's
wait for a mail order house.
So, to me i guess RS is like a convenience store
too -- you run in quickly hoping to find what
you need so you dont have to deal with the big
store at rush hour.
What i wonder is if RS goes away is that bad or
is that good? :) I guess it's better if they
stay around...at least that way there's a chance
you might find something you want, and hopefully
it works right.<p>BTW that one RS on the highway before they closed
i tried to take back a NiMH charger and the sales
person tried to make me feel like i was stealing
from the store! What a nasty!<p>
Take care,
Al
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

This explains what I've been seeing. A brand new RS opened late winter/early spring in a newly developed area. It was great for me as it was right on my way home from work. The parts bins were not "filled" when I first stopped in; there were many empty slots. I figured this was because it was a new store. Not so, the same bins are still empty. <p>The "main" store in town is running some huge clearance of many parts. But this is a trend that has been happening for years with RS. Looks like I'll be stocking up at ham fests in the future.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

I have been buying small electronic components from Radio Shack since I was a boy. I have many fond memories of going to Radio Shack with my dad to get electronics parts for robot projects and other neat stuff back in the early 1970's. <p>There are several very convenient Radio Shacks in my neighborhood. Their componet drawers are still full. The employees know me well and don't hassle me (any more) with sales pitches. I take my sons there now.<p>I hope Radio Shack hangs in there! My boys and I would miss them.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tommy volts:
I have been buying small electronic components from Radio Shack since I was a boy. I have many fond memories of going to Radio Shack with my dad to get electronics parts for robot projects and other neat stuff back in the early 1970's.
I hope Radio Shack hangs in there! My boys and I would miss them.
<hr></blockquote><p>I heartily agree. One near my house keeps the r/c cars' batteries charged making it a favorite of my 4.6 year old son. He can spot that circle R sign about as easily as he can spot a Mc Donalds sign.<p>I remember when I was in high school (early 90's) I went there so often to make small purchases that I qualified as one of the top 5 or 10% of their customers (must have been # of purchases cause I rarely spent more than $5) and got a card in the mail that allowed me to take %10 off one purchase each month. The first time I used it all the sales guys freaked out because they didn't think they'd ever see one, let alone in the hands of a teenager.<p>I was just there the other night as a matter of fact - buying one of those preprinted circuit boards that you can plug ic chips into. ;-) (while my son and one of the sales guys raced r/c cars)<p>By the way, they used to have these cool little notebooks there named something like "engineers electronic notebook." I had a number of them and they all showed and explained little electronic circuits and they looked like they were hand-written on graph paper. When I moved out of the house for college I left them in storage and my mom decided to sell them at a garage sale. I wish I could get my hands on them again 'cause I remember them being very practical. Oh well, I guess we have the Internet now which is much more useful, so no big loss.